Crisis in the Kremlin. Error with installation and native saves. PURE

I will do that Tommorow as nearly time for Bedtime

That would help even with ExoDos info as that Crashes from his Zip Folder?

Where can I find ExoDOa config File @Duimon?

1 Like

I’m away from my computer right now. There is a large zip in the collection that contains all these. I’ll give you more info when I get home.

Thanks and I understand.

1 am in Australia now

If he can run it well, we may be able to see what he does. It could be that he is using DOSBox ECE, or a custom build, or it could just be that no one has played the game that far in testing.

Super easy lol
There is a lot of confusion with this Core, the configurations of sound cards, disk drives, and other hardware, are not needed, the .dosz extension has not been used for a long time and pre-packaged games are not recommended. Psyraven spent many months of hard work in making this automated.

And I don’t know if the forum policy has changed, but sharing piracy information is not allowed.

Can you be a little more specific please.

As I commented to Duimon, this Core is handled differently.
This particular game has a primitive installer that does not allow you to install from the same drive.
If you have the .IMG disk images, you are going to install it in C: smoothly, or if you have an executable .zip, you load it directly.
If you have a .zip file with the installer, you will have to do one more step.

You open the game and the executable files are listed. From the Disc Control menu you load the same game from the .zip.
[ Any zip that you load from Disc Control this way is mounted automatically as a unit ]
It will appear in C: and D: as in the following image, you start the installation from D: You can reboot to remove the extra disk and that’s it.

when the game crashes? :thinking:
The mouse is quite strange, it appears and disappears depending on the scene.
I need more information to test, because the game has no patch or updates, apparently it works without problems.

I’m pretty sure we weren’t. I believe we can mention No-Intro, TOSEC, or ExoDOS without violating the policy.

I took this as asking where, among the files in his possession, he could find that file. :innocent:

@DaveTheMan1985 I consider Exo to be the definitive expert at getting games to run in DOSBox. It appears he is using DOSBox ECE for this game, I have no way to tell if it is a custom build or not. This leads me to believe you will not be able to solve this issue in Pure. :frowning_face:

There is a slight difference:

No-intro, Redump, MAME and The Good Old Days (DOS) are preservation projects, they are in charge of collecting and organizing all the information of each game and/or system. They created a preservation standard and give you the tools to make exact copies of your games yourself. They do not distribute software.

TOSEC, Total DOS Collection (TDC), the eXo packages (eXoDOS, eXoWin3x, eXoScummVM, eXoAppleIIGS, eXo’s Retro Learning Pack), GodSets, Myrient, etc. These are projects that are responsible for collecting, organizing and distributing software, mostly copyrighted.

We are not innocent either, it is obvious what we are talking about, but on a strictly legal level, telling a user to use eXo is detrimental to the project.

In DOSBox, yes it is the best option, in PURE no.
In PURE the eXo games from the .zip give error, they have many settings that you don’t need and they conflict with the PURE presets. (Try running DOOM with Ultrasound). They are also excessively heavy.

To run eXo games, you have to unzip the .zip, because it usually gives errors. If you don’t use the .zip in PURE you lose the RetroArch settings, the saves and the virtual disk.

All that is true. But it is easy enough slim down and repack the zips with some edits. I also create my own dosbox.cfg and never use Ultrasound.

Once in a great while I need to use some custom legacy [cpu] or video settings. (machine=vesa_nolfb for Duke Nukem 3D.) I mostly use the Pure opt for settings, and the dosbox.cfg for mounting and [autoexec].

I am a big fan of Pure! I think it is a great step forward for Retroarch. Since I started using it I have tripled my active DOS games setup, and only keep the rest for completeness.

My point was that if Exo had to use ECE, the game likely needs some TLC that Pure can’t give it. (Yet.)

Well said my friend. I will refrain in the future.

That being said, I’m confused why it is OK for @hunterk to tell a user they need to make sure their MAME ROMs match the core version, but my reference is so frowned upon.

At end of the Year before the Screen says it’s the next year

@alexb3d do you want save file? Video what Happens?

I am out but can put/post/send stuff when I get home later

It was an example. I don’t use DOSBox, I find it unnecessarily complicated, but that’s a matter of personal taste. PURE is more of a PC emulator, than a DOS emulator, and is meant to be used as a PC.

I love PURE, since I met him I have tested 698 DOS and Windows games in their original format, and only 3 have failed me, the errors are not related to the Core. The DOS games that have an eXo version, I have tried them and most of them give me an error.

It is my opinion that, if you are looking for help from PURE, we look for the option to make it work, if it is a bug in the game we look for a solution if it has one, if it is a bug in the Core, we report it in Github to improve it. And as a last option, recommend another emulator.

Hunterk and me and everyone else. It’s simple, I can recommend you the MAME fullset, how you get those dumps is your problem, MAME offers you the legal tools. eXo, is an openly piracy project, if I recommend you eXo, I incite you to a crime. In law it is called “Legal Figure”, and it is a protection for which all preservation projects have survived. (I hope, I do not know if it is well translated).

What are you doing this for?

1 Like

I have never played that game, is this at the end of each stage?

Yes please, send me the state, not the save.

How do you have the game? an executable zip, a zip with installer and a disk image?

Okay I do that when I can Hopefully not too far away

I have Tried both Zipped and Unzipped for ExoDOS Version and used the Disk Images to try install it

I tried other dosbox Cores and Dosbox-X and Duam Version and same issue Happens

To correct graphic glitches that Pure can’t.

If legacy parameters are used in the dosbox.cfg, Pure will use them. I acquired that info from the Pure GitHub Readme, where it also clearly states that Pure is a fork of DOSBox.

I disagree that it is a PC emulator. PCem is a PC emulator, Pure is a DOS emulator. It cannot run another OS except some that run on top of DOS.

I feel like you are targeting me for some reason, and I’m not sure why. If you wish to take over support of this topic I yield to you.

I will say no more. I was only lending support to a member of the community.

1 Like

No, please. I really appreciate talking to you, the chats are nice. Sorry for being so direct, I try to be direct so the translator doesn’t get confused.

Yes, of course, it is a Fork of DOSBox, but if you can install Windows independent of DOS, Windows 98 is monolithic, as well as Millenium, 2000 or any NT. You can even install the XP Whistler beta.

This is what I mean by reporting it on Github, if it is a bug in PURE it is reported and the emulator gains value and we all win.
I don’t know what errors you are talking about. Are you talking about the eXo version? Have you tried installing from an original image?

I like much help as I can get Please

Have Reported it but heard nothing back