DOSBOX Path Issue

I have an odd issue with DOSBOX / DOSBOX-SVN on my Playstation Classic. If I set a path manually or in a BAT file, files that I run manually are found just fine. But once a program is run, that program doesn’t seem to honor the path, causing files to be not found. For example, a C++ compiler won’t find its dependencies (other executables) that it calls, or include files (<iostream>, etc) unless a full path is specified. Surely games call other files (to configure, etc) all the time, so I’m not sure why this isn’t working. The scope is fine as I could run the files manually.

1 Like

You may need to set a PATH environment within the batch file.

I did just that, and that allows the Path to call the initial program just fine. But anything called subsequently by that program isn’t found. I’m not sure if it’s a DOSBox or RetroArch issue really. But so far in my C++ learning endeavors I’ve had reference include files by their full paths and edit those include files to reference full paths to their dependencies. And of course after the program exits, Path is confirmed to be as I set it in the Batch file.

Does what you are trying to do work in the standalone version of DOSBox and DB-SVN?

Apparently the DOSBox core has many bugs (according to the official developers of the emulator).
And the SVN version was added for use as a base in PURE (according to the developer of PURE).

I wish I could give PURE a try but I’m on a PS Classic. Issue persists in both DOSBox and DOSBox-SVN. They really are stripped down, with no external commands such as MORE when navigating all these errors.

SVN is the most current development version. It is recommended to use this one.

The official DOSBox/SVN versions are stripped of many features of the original MS-DOS, because they are only intended to run games and programs. But I have no idea if what you want to do works.

I understand that the DOSBox and SVN cores of RetroArch have a lot of bugs. It would be wise to test it first on the official standalone version.
If it doesn’t work in the standalone, the official dosbox forum will give you better support.
If the core fails, it is advisable to make a report on github.

PURE is much more limited than all the others, it is totally focused on running the games, I doubt it would be useful for what you want to do.