Dosbox pure - how to do gravis drivers localization

Is it possible to move the ULTRASND (gravis ultrasound drivers) folder to a location of your choice, for example retroarch/system/dos? If so, preferably in some simple way, if possible by editing the dosbox pure configuration file? I’m pretty inexperienced with dos and dos emulation. So far, only the gravis ultrasand sound works when I put the driver folder into a game zip file (for example, Doom).

2 Likes

I am AFK but I believe the path is configurable in the opt file, if not the core settings. I’ll double check when I get home.

It might be that the path is relative to the emulated file system.

1 Like

Even better if you could set it in the opt file of the game (for example doom), the path where it has gus drivers. I will be grateful for the information.

The ULTRASND folder is inserted inside the zip file, so that it loads at startup together with the game in C:\ , that folder can be renamed and moved with the command “SET ULTRADIR=…” (see the menu description when activating the GUS).

You can configure in DOSBox a virtual drive in D:\ and place the folder there, or, after loading the game, you can open a zip with the driver from the Disks menu and it will load in D:\ (you can load anything in D: with the disks menu) but it doesn’t work, it doesn’t recognize that directory, for now you can only mount in C.

1 Like

Thanks for the information. I will stay with throwing the ultrasnd folder into the zip file. This is probably the simplest method that works.

2 Likes

And it is the official DOSBox form.
You can also use the original driver (ULTRASND) or the modified PPL161 “Pro Patches Lite 1.61” (ULTRA161), in 8-digit folders, and easily change them with the command
SET ULTRADIR=C:\ULTRA161
SET ULTRADIR=C:\ULTRASND

You can also create a batch to select them, but if you wait for me I will share a simple PURE tutorial.

2 Likes

The guide will definitely come in handy. My knowledge of dosa is the absolute minimum :slight_smile: Regarding copying the ULTRASND folder to the zip file, I noticed one problem. Not every game wants to run with gus. For example, Reunion. In dosbox pure, I choose setup and there is 1 gravis ultrasound option. I turn on the game and there is no sound or music.

1 Like

Actually, I am no expert. The thing is that at that time you had to search and read a lot, you found the solutions. Most of the things are solved. Little by little you get used to it and learn.

About the game Reunion. Few games support GUS, but if it does, I assure you it works, because to have GUS support they had to pay for the license and it wasn’t cheap.

If the game does not work the first time. The first thing I do is to check the manuals (there it explains the GUS). Another thing I do is to check the internet pages, if something doesn’t work, maybe it’s a bug in the game and it can be solved with a patch.

If you look at the options menu, the GUS tells you that it is on port 240, the game works on 220. In the PURE menu you can’t change it, so you have to do it in the game and it doesn’t allow to change either.
The game works fine, it is a DOSBox configuration issue (I will report this special case in github).

To make it work I made you these Batchs that pre-configure the port (taking reference from the eXo).
It has to be next to STAR.EXE. If you have an executable ZIP, copy everything together. If you have an installer or an iso, you have to install the game in C:, not in C:\REUNION. (If you open the .bat files, you will get an idea of how they work).

Before starting anything, first configure Soundblaster pro in SETUP.EXE, then you can start directly from any of the two batches. I hope it works for you.

1 Like

Thanks for the files and guide.

1 Like