DosBox Pure - Windows 98 can't read DVD images

There are two versions of X-Files (the 1998 game), originally, it consists of 7 discs, but later it got a DVD release, I opted for the latter so it won’t require disc swapping back and forth, but it can’t read the disc, I wonder if someone else tried DVD images on Pure yet, and if so, is there anything we can look for so it will work?

I’m on the latest build, 0.9.9, by the way.

DVD-ROM is not implemented, some of them yes and some of them no.

Are you loading the iso directly? That looks like an error, try loading them from a zip.

edit: I have tried to load several, the zip does not work, but the iso does load. This is new. Don’t forget to update the CD-ROM driver.

Thanks for checking it. So, you did manage to load the DVD version? I messed a little with ImgBurn yesterday and created a DVD from the extracted Iso, using the DVD-5 option, Windows 98 did see the disc, but recognized 1,99GB, the installation didn’t complete, returning reading erros of some sort.

The seven discs original release offers the option to install the entire game, at least, and it installed without issues.

It’s not a big deal, I was just curious if bigger games that weren’t that common in DVDs during the 98 era worked fine.

I don’t think this will help, it’s DVD5 or 9 and a 9 doesn’t fit on a 5.
One trick, you can extract the files, compress them and load the zip.

You have by default a DOSBox CD-ROM driver, it is not compatible with a DVD. It is necessary to upgrade to a DVD-ROM driver, Win98 has several by default,I use the Compaq but they all work the same. I would like a DVD9 driver, to see if it loads.

But, the result is random and it seems to me that it has changed because I can’t load games bigger than 2.3Gb, and the double layer ones don’t even open, but the video discs (iDVD) do load.

Silent Steel - A Cinematic Strategy Adventure DVD5-240729-042748

I think RetroArch is not compatible with dual layer discs, but you also have to take into account the protection of the disc, it can affect the loading.

1 Like

I did that for China: The Forbidden City, the DVD release has many folders with other languages and once only English was kept, the zip file ended up with less than 400MB and it installed fine.

As for the X-Files game, the CD releases offer to install the whole game, which is a big plus and I settled with that. In any case, thanks for all the info and for your reply!

1 Like