DOSBox-SVN Performance issues

I don’t know if I’m just going crazy, here, but I’m having bad performance issues on the DOSBox-SVN core. Performance is worse than the normal DOSBox core, to the point that Doom II will slow down and even crash in places. Tomb Raider does the same. Quake, strangely, seems to work just fine. Does anyone have any ideas?

edit: to clarify, I’ve played and completed Doom II on the non-SVN core with no issues what-so-ever.

U may need to play with the settings…also what device u using…I’ve installed and setup almost 400 games both cd based and non cd based games and all are fine with the svn core and that’s using android…

I’m on a laptop, running Linux. Are their any settings you’d recommend, particularly?

Actually, I must have accidentally opened Quake in the normal dosbox core. Testing it now, it’s very choppy in the SVN core and not very playable. I’ve tried setting the CPU cycle multiplier to max and all of the fixed options between 100 and 100000 and it makes no difference at all. Changing the CPU Cycles down from 1 to 9, and everything in-between, does seem to make the performance noticeably worse, however.

Some games I run as max but for many that’s 2 fast…on average I think auto is about 3000 on the standalone dosbox…but I usually test it like that .anywhere from 3000 to 20000…u may also need to edit the conf file …I load only by using the conf files for each game so unless u do that , maybe that’s why u having problems… that file is similar to the dos option files but the conf has more settings to play around with…with the conf u can also load a game with multiple cds

Also a game like the original wolfenstein game runs way to fast as default so u gotta drop that to about 200 or 300 cycles to be playable

1 Like

That’s good information, thank you! However, I feel like changing the cycle multiplier isn’t doing anything. On the stand-alone dosbox core, setting the cycles to 100000 makes Doom and Quake super snappy and responsive, with no lag. On the SVN core, they both play the same (laggy) whether I set the cycle multiplier to 100000 or 100. There’s no difference. That doesn’t seem right to me.

Hey, you’re right. When I use a custom .conf file, I can get the performance back by setting the cycles. However, setting the cycles in core settings does nothing. I don’t think that’s right so I’m going to start an issue on github. Thanks for your help!

edit: Actually it appears that option isn’t available. Any ideas who I could talk to about this?

Also, what front-end/theme is that you’re using? I’ve not seen that before. Sorry for being off-topic… Haha

He is using retroarch…when they make or tweak cores, they dont concentrate on frontends because there are many and all are different…I personally use hyperspin for android… also what u were saying earlier about the options not saving…check ur config folder …I think that’s where options settings get saved…then there will be folders named after the cores and opt files named after the games…opt u can open and edit with notepad++ on a PC or whatever text editor u use…make sure u are actaully saving the opt files because those dominate the conf options

Disable the Hard GPU Sync. It was crucial to me.

1 Like

Hard GPU Sync was already off. The settings are definitely being saved, as I can see it in my retroarch-core-options.cfg file. They’re also being read because I can change other settings, such as soundcard emulation and hear the difference. It’s just the CPU cycles stuff that seems to make no difference. As for my computer power. I’m only testing this on a laptop with intel graphics but stand-alone dosbox and the normal dosbox core both have great performance on this machine. The SVN core does, as well, when I use a custom conf file to set the cycles, instead of the core options. :confused:

Like I’ve stated on yt, I love this core …I think I’m honestly the only person using it for android…I want to add about another 50 or so games to make at least 500 playable and configured games for my frontend…each game is unzipped and each 1 I had to edit the config and for others that didnt work out the box o had to go to dosbox forumns for answers on how to get the correct settings for speed and compatibility… major pain but well worth the effort involved…when I make a video I’ll try 2 tag u guys on yt