Dualshock 4 woes in Lubuntu Xenial

So first off, I’m only using this release of Ubuntu because I’m on a Chromebook and chrooting into it with crouton. I had no issue with Arch on my desktop getting the controller to work but I have nothing but headaches here. There are two situations I’m dealing with: first, if I start RetroArch with the controller already plugged in I get no input. No button works and my keyboard also doesn’t work. When starting the OSD nicely informs me that “Sony Wireless Controller” is configured on port #0, but I get nothing. Second situation is when I plug in the controller after starting RetroArch. Here I get input, but it seems to be duplicating button presses. I can’t navigate the menus because it skips over options and flies around like crazy. What makes this more interesting is that this also applies to keyboard controls when I do this. I either get zero input or too much, depending on what I do.

I’ve updated the autoconfig files and that didn’t help.

RetroArch appears to be using both the Joystick and evdev APIs for the controller, causing multiple inputs (not sure why this affects the keyboard, too). As far as I know, it’s normal for 2 devices to be created, but a program generally defaults to one or the other. I’ve had no issues with various other games. Here’s the relevant lines from the log:

[INFO] [udev]: Hotplug add: /dev/input/js0.
[INFO] [udev]: Hotplug add: /dev/input/event11.
[INFO] [udev]: Plugged pad: Sony Computer Entertainment Wireless Controller (1356:1476) on port #0.
[INFO] [udev]: Pad #0 (/dev/input/event11) supports 0 force feedback effects.
[INFO] [Autoconf]: 186 profiles found.
[INFO] [Autoconf]: selected configuration: /home/duelle/.config/retroarch/autoconfig/udev/Sony-PlayStation4-DualShock4-Controller.cfg
[INFO] [udev]: Hotplug remove: /dev/input/event11.
[INFO] Autodetect: Device disconnected from port #0 (Sony Computer Entertainment Wireless Controller).
[INFO] [udev]: Hotplug remove: /dev/input/js0.