DualShock Analog toggle on xbox 360 controller with Beetle/Mednafen PSX HW

Hi,

So I’ve just gotten RetroArch set up on my media computer, integrated with kodi via Advanced Launcher. I’ve got it loading specific cores and configs for specific platforms, configured hotkeys and visual settings to my liking, etc. I really like what I see so far, but I’m having an issue with games that support DualShock analog. Let’s use Chrono Cross as an example. I have set Joy 1 to be a DualShock instead of just a PlayStation Controller or DualAnalog, but I’m not sure what other settings I might be missing.

RetroArch is replacing stock mednafen. The analog button toggle on stock mednafen was an L1+L2+R1+R2+start+select hotkey, which soft resets a fair number of PSX games, including Chrono Cross. As a hotkey shortcut, this does not work for me. I’d like to rebind this to the guide button on my 360 controller, which currently opens RetroArch’s OSD. However, when I went into the settings, there doesn’t seem to be any way to unbind this key, and when I went into the actual text cfg file it’s already set to nul. (I’d like to keep the F1 keyboard shortcut for bringing up the OSD though.) I’ve also tried using this shortcut in CC and all it seemed to do was reset my game.

Another option for me would be to bind it to a keyboard key. I’m using joy2key to get custom commands hotkeyed to my gamepad, with R3 being the toggle enable; L3+R3 is currently alt+f4, R3+dpad-up is F1 to bring up the OSD in the infrequent event that I need it (to swap discs and such.)

So with all that information, what other settings do I need to tweak, and is it possible to bind the analog toggle button from the DualShock controller to either the xbox guide button or to a keyboard key? This is the last real thing I need to work out for my setup :slight_smile: Thanks!

It’s been a while since I’ve messed with PSX, but from what I remember, there was a toggle in the quick options to turn analog off and on manually BUT… (I just now tested things), if you play a game like Ape Escape that actuallly uses the analogs, the core automatically turns the analogs on for you, regardless of what your settings are in the quick menu.

There’s only a handful of games that actually utilize the ‘toggle’ button, and they’ve provided a working solution for those games. I’m not sure if every single game that utilzes the dual analogs is set to automatically turn on like that, but with the quick menu settings, you can then create a game specific profile that will load up just for that game, fully automating things.

It seems like kind of a waste to give away a button just for something that can be done permanently in a menu, and won’t be used very often in the first place. I also don’t use ‘guide’ for the menu button - I was using it as a ‘hotkey’ to be used in combo with other buttons, e.g. guide+d-pad up to bring up the menu, guide+a = save state, guide+b=load state, guide+X=decrease state slot, guide+Y=increase state slot, and others. But I use Rocketlauncher now, and guide is now my dedicated Pause key, and I switched my retroarch hotkey to the ‘back’ button.