DuckStation vs SwanStation

So with the Duckstation coming back to Retroarch.

I was wondering what is the Difference between these 2 Now?

Article of Duckstation Coming Back:

https://www.libretro.com/index.php/libretro-core-updates-aprilmay-2021/

1 Like

They should have a link so we can see more info on it. That way we don’t have to bother or take up peoples time asking questions.

https://github.com/stenzek/duckstation The Github page has it but I will post the description here to save you time.

"DuckStation is an simulator/emulator of the Sony PlayStation™ console, focusing on playability, speed, and long-term maintainability. The goal is to be as accurate as possible while maintaining performance suitable for low-end devices. “Hack” options are discouraged, the default configuration should support all playable games with only some of the enhancements having compatibility issues.

A “BIOS” ROM image is required to to start the emulator and to play games. You can use an image from any hardware version or region, although mismatching game regions and BIOS regions may have compatibility issues. A ROM image is not provided with the emulator for legal reasons, you should dump this from your own console using Caetla or other means."

I found a post saying that it was a name change from Duckstation to SwanStation. But who knows if they reverted back to DuckStation. On my RPI4 build theres SwanStation, PCSX ReARMed and Bettle PSX HW. I mostly go with PCSX ReARMed.

1 Like

Duckstation is the return of Stenzek’s own libretro core, which is semi-closed source (the libretro bits are closed, the emulation core itself is open; the combination is closed).

Swanstation is a fork based on the last open version before the libretroization was closed off.

Neither are maintained directly by the libretro team.

2 Likes

for Linux only Duckstation is available

Where are issues with the libretro Duckstation supposed to be reported now?

for actual Duckstation core, AFAIK it would be the upstream repo.

1 Like

WTF, check this out:

Huh? Aren’t many games that run at higher resolutions? Also, many menu screens?

:man_shrugging: if it’s working as intended…

Omg :flushed: facepalm 🤦 How in the world :earth_americas:

Yes, he knows this of course. He says that there is some problem with fitting it to windows if Duckstation behaves in the RA standard way. I don’t know what this exactly is refering to (never play in window mode). Anyway, a limited fix is to rely on custom scaling then.

ohhh, yeah, in windowed mode, the windowed multiplier applies to the reported res, so if you bump the internal res to, say, 4x, and your windowed scale is 4x, the window size jumps to 16x. This seems like a pretty drastic step for a pretty minor issue that all HLE 3D cores experience, but whatever.

3 Likes

Any solutions to fix this would be?

Well, if you absolutely need the reported res to be correct (e.g., for switchres), I guess you’ll need to use swanstation.

1 Like

Duckstation will still tell you the resolution by proxy if you take a non-gpu screenshot. So you can adjust manually via custom scaling. Most resolution changes probably take place on the horizontal axis, but RA standard behavior is to scale this anyway for proper aspect ratio. Not sure how severe issues look there if there’s a mismatch.

Vertical height on the other hand needs to be perfect for something like the interlacing shader, so you have to keep this in mind when using PAL games (=extended height), or use the cropping option (less height).

Edit: Actually, scratch this. I can’t make sense of the screenshot dimensions that both duck and swanstation provide after doing some more tests and using various aspect ratio options. Getting correct resolution may require PCSX-Rearmed.

So we gone back to Swanstation again going by this New Video.

Why was it changed back to Swanstation?

yeah, upstream dropped it again and someone picked up swanstation and is keeping it updated.

3 Likes

Thanks @hunterk for answering my Question

1 Like

Thought this be a Good Place to ask this Question without making a New Thread.

Will Swanstation stay with Duckstation being Dead?

And also, which one is the better core to use? At first it was Swanstation, then it was Duckstation. Now it’s Swanstation again?