DuckStation vs SwanStation

I can’t say anything about the whole license drama because I’m not involved in the subject at all, but I don’t think it diminishes a community-driven project that one of its developers made mean comments in the past. And I can’t help but find some of these posts on Reddit and Twitter very amusing - the ones where people announce that they will boycott RetroArch or ask people not to use it anymore. It’s literally a free, open-source program, nobody cares whether you boycott it or not! You can even use RetroArch and donate money to the developers of the original emulators, who is keeping you from doing it? Are people feeling dirty because they installed it on their PC or something? This mentality is absolutely baffling to me, and so are the people who now claim that RetroArch never had a use in the first place and that standalone emulators are much more convenient anyway - yeah, sure. That’s like having a different audio player with a completely different user interface installed for every band that you’re listening to. :slightly_smiling_face:

Plus I’m super grateful that RetroArch keeps projects like Genesis Plus GX alive and makes them available on platforms where they originally weren’t.

6 Likes

And you also have the usual “i tried to set it up and failed” or “the UI is too complicated and i gave up” people among those loud haters. I doubt anyone of them ever experienced what RetroArch is capable of. So it’s so easy for them to say those things to others.

This also reminds me of the same people who ask to boycott games/movies, etc, because the director is sexist or a programmer said something racist 50 years ago. Despite all the other actors, staff, developers, etc, who might worked on these projects. Heck, the person most of them have issues with wasn’t even the original RA developer…

2 Likes

That Drives me up the Wall when People just Bag RA because they Reckon it’s too hard to Setup.

I would like to Know IF and IF they Did how long did they Try or they just read something Bad about it and just Based it off that

I did have some Trouble at the Started Using RA and that was Mostly could not Figure out the Controls but Thanks to someone on Reddit who help me and Pointed to the RetroArch Docs I Figured it out then and not looked back

While i can somehow relate to that because it’s never nice to get reports about things you fixed long ago (for a long time, people pestered me with fbalpha2012 reports…), it feels more like an excuse in their case.

A few years back, i offered to be an intermediary in fixing the situation, possibly including the renaming of those vintaged cores so that people would stop seeing their relation with mame, but they (iirc cuavas and haze) made very clear that they weren’t interested in fixing the situation, so nowaday i couldn’t care less about what they have to say. Also, they don’t make a fuss when someone reports mame4droid issue, while this one is also based on a very old mame version.

2 Likes