Dynamic Overscan?

Itā€™s in all of them, in the cropping settings you set your crop to the maximum you could want, in the FF example letā€™s say thatā€™s 10%, then you set the crop mode to only crop black, I think this is mode 1.

Let me know if you have any issues

2 Likes

The first question I have already answered. As for the second one, there is no such thing as dynamic crop, there is either something drawn there or not. If you think those borders are extensive, consider that for example a SEGA Master System canā€™t fill a 4:3 CRTā€™s screen without border color, or movies filmed for cinemas which were as wide as they are today. Thatā€™s what people were used to back in the day.

1 Like

The only footage I can find of this game running on original hardware and on a CRT TV is this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRQlL7BBXiI

If whoever uploaded that video is still around, you can ask them in the comments about it.

I did ask him. On the video, we can clearly see that the game fills the whole screenā€¦

I verified that FF6 is full of black borders:

2 Likes

Thank you! An age old mystery finally solved. :sweat_smile:

So itā€™s clear people were simply adjusting their TVā€™s overscan settings to get rid of them (if the TV had such a setting.) So basically with RA, you should use your CRT shaderā€™s overscan setting and save it as a per-game preset.

Hereā€™s how I do it with the guest-advanced shader:

My shader preset for the Snes9x core is stored in config/Snes9x/Snes9x.slangp. It looks like this:

#reference "../../shaders/crt-guest-advanced/crt-guest-advanced-ntsc-fast.slangp"
quality = "-1.000000"
ntsc_fields = "1.000000"
ntsc_phase = "3.000000"
... etc, etc ...

When running FF6, it gets loaded automatically. Now go to the shader menu in the quickmenu, and save the shader preset with ā€œSave Game Presetā€. This will create config/Snes9x/Final Fantasy III (USA).slangp (or similar.) Open that file in a text editor and delete everything in it and put a single line in it:

#reference "Snes9x.slangp"

You can now adjust the overscan setting in the shader parameters, and do ā€œSave Game Preset.ā€ This will only store the overscan settings in the preset. All the other shader settings will come from the core preset.

1 Like

Borders are clearly visible in the video as well.

Yes but I find them not as big as Hunterkā€™s picture

Thatā€™s what I did, but I was just wondering if cropping title screen and possible other ā€œwell filling screensā€ was the best workaround. It seems thatā€™s a ā€œmandatoryā€ trade-off in order to avoid those black borders 99% of the time.

WOW, thatā€™s quite exceptional! How does it work? It seems to detect black pixels only?

Among the multiples passes, which shaders do this exaclty?

1 Like

Yup it looks for just black pixels and adjusts the crop. There v is a threshold so if some pixels are almost black which happens with the dithering from one of the n64 emulators.

So the Mega Bezel is kind of a behemoth where some passes do calculations and cache them and then other passes pull from this.

Basically the info-cache pass ā€“ which is early in the chain ā€“ figures out the cropping values, then in the crt pass in a custom version of guest.rā€™s shader uses these cropping values to sample the image without the cropped areas.

If you want the simplest mega bezel with just some of the screen control and cropping, you can use the POTATO version, and set the graphics brightness to 0 and set the aspect ratio parameter to full then it will work similarly to how a regular crt shader does, taking up all the viewport space.

1 Like

Maybe I mistweaked something but it cropped too much when the title screen of a game has a black background. There are black pixels everywhere so the shader detects them as croppable? Is this the downside of this kind of automation?

1 Like

Yeah, thatā€™s why you specify a maximum that you want cropped so it doesnā€™t crop a lot more when you just have a black background. So certainly a limitation since the shader only sees the current image and does its logic on it.

2 Likes

Anyway, letā€™s remain realistic about this. Only a few games really need this to be on, on SNES at least. So for games like FF6, it makes wonder since title screen is not black. So Iā€™ll use per-game settings.

But when I think of N64, itā€™s particularly magical since there is a native overscan on all games, variable among games. So this detection will be very useful.

1 Like

Actually, even if I love your shader, Iā€™d like the most light version of it, since Iā€™ve got a dedicated hardware quite old. So I tried the Potato.slangp but for some reason, it makes my RetroArch unresponsive. All other presets work well thoughā€¦

3 Likes

Hmm, I think there might be some strange driver conflict with the potato presets.

What gpu and driver version do you have?

2 Likes

PC Iā€™m setting up this on: RTX 2060, version 471.96

Iā€™ll try to update

3 Likes

Ok hopefully that fixes it, Iā€™m running a RTX 2060 as well with no issues.

2 Likes

Are you saying that your RTX 2060 is old and you think you need to use a light preset because of that? Or are you just setting it up on this PC to use on another without the RTX 2060?

Just to let you know that upgrading to the last driver version solved the issue

2 Likes