Editing Nestopia Database

So, as I’m sure many of you know, some hacked Konami games simply refuse to run in Nestopia core of retroarch.

THE LIST OF OFFENDERS (that I know of personally)

Akumajou Special - Boku Dracula-kun

Wai Wai World

Wai Wai World 2 - SOS!! Paseri Jou

The original japanese versions of these roms work but, because the hacked versions crc and sha-1 dont match up with them, they crash retroarch instantly. Now, from what I’ve read, all you need to do to remedy this is to:

1. Hashcheck the values of the virgin rom
  2. Find the entry in the database that houses these values.
  3. Hashcheck the values of the hacked rom.
  4. Copy and paste the original entry to the database, replacing the original CRC/SHA-1 info with the hacked values.
  5. Save the database.
  6. Play the game.

This is where i run into problems. The CRCs and SHA-1s from the original roms dont seem to be right. I happened to find the original CRC/SHA-1 for Akumajou Special - Boku Dracula-kun listed online that matched the database entry so I have found that at least (no such luck with wai wai world 1 & 2 though) but this in itself presents and interesting question. Why can retroarch load an original rom with non-matching CRCs and SHA-1s at all?

SO, i deduced that either the original roms I have just dont match the database (but still run for god knows what reason) OR the hash checkers I’ve been using arent relating the right information (which I would find strange because, at this point, I’ve tried 5-6 different programs and they all transmit the same info).

Either way, I still found the values for the original Akumajou Special - Boku Dracula-kun, so i tried to just change the CRC and SHA-1 to the hacked values and yeah, it still crashes.

If anyone knows of a way to do this that works, PLEASE, let me know. I would be eternally grateful. Thanks again, guys!

Just for reference, THIS is the rom info for Akumajou Special - Boku Dracula-kun in the nestopia database file: <game> <cartridge system=“Famicom” dump=“unknown” crc=“C1FBF659” sha1=“40A9324E9D5FFCF8618C9D95E22424A8EFE60C6E”> <board type=“KONAMI-VRC-4” mapper=“23”> <prg size=“128k” /> <chr size=“128k” /> <chip type=“Konami VRC IV”> <pin number=“3” function=“PRG A3” /> <pin number=“4” function=“PRG A2” /> </chip> </board> </cartridge> </game>

And this is what my hashcheckers are telling me are the correct values for said rom: <game> <cartridge system=“Famicom” dump=“unknown” crc=“F916D969” sha1=“A7F5329BE0440498DC343504652EAFCB39836609”> <board type=“KONAMI-VRC-4” mapper=“23”> <prg size=“128k” /> <chr size=“128k” /> <chip type=“Konami VRC IV”> <pin number=“3” function=“PRG A3” /> <pin number=“4” function=“PRG A2” /> </chip> </board> </cartridge> </game>

Also, the second incorrect value is also what romhack.net says are the crc and sha-1 as well (for Akumajou Special - Boku Dracula-kun), so at least THAT makes me feel a little less crazy.

Anyways, If anyone knows of a way to do this that works, PLEASE, let me know. I would be eternally grateful. Thanks again, guys!

It happens with all the Konami fan translations and Nestopia. I get around it by using an older version of Nestopia Standalone before the problem started happening.

The last post here might be of some use to you (maybe) Check the post by user Spinner 8 http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php/topic,9620.msg148487.html#msg148487

Ok, I figured it out.

I’m not exactly sure what happens in detail, but i know what to do to fix the database. I’ll list the steps here in case anyone is ever trying to add a nonworking rom to the nestopia database in the future.

1. Load up the upatched rom in nesmapper, select “Remove 16 Byte Nes Header”, and click on prep. This will create a bin file.
  2. Open the bin file in a hashchecking program and record the CRC and SHA-1 numbers.
  3. Open the nstdatabase.xml in Retroarch’s system and search for either the crc or the sha-1. this should give you your rom info. Copy this entry.
  4. Now, load up the patched rom in nesmapper, select “Remove 16 Byte Nes Header”, and click on prep. This will create another bin file.
  5. Open the bin file in a hashchecking program and record the differing CRC and SHA-1 numbers.
  6. Open the nstdatabase.xml again and change the copy you made earlier to the new CRC and SHA-1 from the hacked rom.

Aaaaaaand thats how you add a hacked rom to the nestopia database. Thanks again! It really helped me figure this out!

I think it might be a good idea to speak to the Nestopia author about that., maybe he’ll add support for those games: