Emulation TV CRT with PC

Hello, I would like to know if it is possible to connect this pc: Pemtium G4560, 1050Ti 4gb, 8 gb ram y W1; to a crt television to emulate through RetroArch.

Thanks!

You will need to use CRT Emudriver, but it’s only available for AMD video cards.

The PC specs listed are mostly irrelevant, you’d need to be more specific about what exactly you want to achieve. If you want to use RA’s own CRTswitchres functionality for use with RGB 240p/288p, I believe you’ll have to rely on Linux, because of the Nividia card. Under Windows you should still be able to use the Custom Resolution Utility (CRU), which means it’s a little more limited/less comfortable.

Hello, thank you very much for answering!.

What I would like would be to use this pc to emulate with RA, but not on a monitor but on a CRT TV. As far as I understand that to get a good emulation, I need an output at 15khz and 240p, as you say, but this generates certain problems for me.

1.- Neither the pg4560 nor the gpu have vga output. I tried with an hdmi-scart converter, but someone told me that at least it outputs 480i, not 240p. So I don’t know if the converter works for me or not.

(this type of converter: https://www.amazon.es/Converter-Adapter-Scaler-Support-Player/dp/B08DFLWTSL/ref=pd_sbs_23_6/262-7770035-8770139?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B08DFLWTSL&pd_rd_r=0417ce28-67d3-4a2f-bac7-8290aa40c780&pd_rd_w=JDVon&pd_rd_wg=ckFwF&pf_rd_p=dd738298-9698-4d96-aa46-cc7f9fd38c59&pf_rd_r=4BQY5AN4SQ717GV0DEDE&psc=1&refRID=4BQY5AN4SQ717GV0DEDE)

2.- As far as I know, Nvidia doesn’t output at 15khz.

3.- Maybe there is some other problem that I am not even thinking about.

That I think would be it, I don’t really have knowledge on the subject so I don’t know what to do, and I did not find any guide for anything like that, only things with linux and ati’s gpu.

Kind Regards!

1. Yes, that won’t work. You’d need something like the Ultimate Scart Adapter from Arcadeforge (I have that) and then a HDMI-VGA converter. There should be some recommendations for those around even for 240p use, I still only used cards with direct VGA output so far.

2. Nvidia supports 15 Khz. The cards are less flexible though etc. There are disadvantages, but it works in principle. As far as I know, you can even use two cards from different brands in one PC these days, so maybe that’s another option without switching out the card completely for AMD.

There’s a (relatively) cheap HDMI-to-YPbPr converter that is 240p-capable floating around, but it apparently won’t do 480i properly, if you’re trying to get perfect original res and refresh rate for everything.

Personally, I’ve been happy with not using switchres and just making a single superres/ultrawide 240p@60Hz modeline and running everything through that. A few things end up slightly faster/slower than they should be but it’s close enough IMO.

Could you explain how to do that? I’m having issues with switchres and would like to see how a single superres would work.

You just make a modeline for 2560 (or 3840 or 1920) x 240 (or 224. I prefer 240+overscan/padding) at 60 Hz and then switch to that before launching RetroArch and switch back after closing it. RetroArch will speed up / slow down everything slightly to match the 60 Hz refresh and you can play all 240p content just fine. Some 480i/p content looks good downsampled to 240p, but on some you lose too much information to be useful (e.g., unreadable text, etc.)

If you set your video_fullscreen_x/y settings to match the modeline, it should snap to it on launch, but it won’t automatically switch it back on exit. There is a Windows utility that can handle swapping to existing modelines and back on launch/exit, but I forget what it’s called now. It might be a Powertoy…? On linux, of course, you just use a launch script and xrandr or whatever.