Enabling/disabling shaders via overrides?

Couldn’t find this specific problem addressed anywhere… So I hope I’m not just missing something obvious.

I’m running multiple systems in RetroArch. I launch them through LaunchBox - that is, they aren’t loaded through Retroarch’s menu system but rather by commandline.

For older systems, like NES, SNES etc I like to use scanlines. My personal preference is the “crt-hyllian”, which I find gives me a nice effect without it being overpowering.

For newer systems, especially those with 3d graphics like the PSP and the PSX, I prefer not using scanlines - instead, I use the core options to enable higher rendered resolutions and antialiasing.

After doing some research, this seemed like a perfect job for core overrides!

So. I discovered that shader options are kept in a separate config (retroarch.cgp) which is referenced by the retroarch.cfg using this line:

video_shader = ":\shaders\retroarch.cgp"

I discovered that by changing this line into this:

video_shader = ""

I was able to disable the shader altogether. So far, so good.

I then created an override file containing the line mentioned above, named it “ppsspp.cfg” and placed it in “config/ppsspp”.

When I load up a game, I get this message:

“Configuration override loaded”

But alas, I still get scanlines.

I also tried using the override config to change menu driver (the xmb one crashes when trying to enter it from ppsspp). No dice.

I tried adding this:

fps_show = "true"

to the override - this worked.

So. I’m guessing some options just aren’t compatible with the override configs system?

Will I have to go back to per-core configurations? That would be too bad, I kind of liked the override way of doing things, only changing what needed to be changed for each core…

Nightlies have ‘save game/core preset’ options that will do exactly what you want with no guesswork.

Yeah, you can’t override the video driver.

Regarding shaders, you could put video_shader = “:\shaders\retro\pixellate.cgp” in for PPSSPP, which works as a neutral shader. And it scales things to non-integer resolutions well.

You can also use video_shader_enable = “false” in that config to disable shaders for that core entirely.

Thanks! Updating to the latest nightly took care of my “entering the xmb from ppsspp crashes Retroarch” problem, and “video_shader_enable = “false”” gave me what I wanted when it comes to the shaders-per-core config.

What I do, is boot the system I want to use a shader on. Select the Shader Hit Apply Then “Save Core Preset”

That saves individual shaders for each system.

The only issue I’ve run into is because Game Gear runs on the same core as Genesis I haven’t been able to set that up seperately… YET.

1 Like

If you turn the shader passes to 0 it disables the shader all together

A separate core was released last year i think to solve the problem with Game Gear - Genesis : genesis_plus_gx_gg_libretro.dll