Error when building RetroArch on Windows

Hi everyone,

I am currently trying to get the building environment running on my Win 10 Home (x64). As guiding I used the tutorial on https://docs.libretro.com/development/retroarch/compilation/windows/ and performed the following steps:

• Downloaded MSYS2 and installed the suggested packages with pacman as described by the tutorial (except for the NVIDIA CG toolkit since the link was broken)
  • I cloned the libretro_super repository
  • started the build process with “make -j4”

Result: I get the following output on the shell:

CC version_git.c CC frontend/frontend_driver.c /bin/sh: -c: line 0: syntax error near unexpected token `(’ …

The complete output is shown in the attached screenshots.

Interpretation: Since I did not change anything on the code yet, I do not believe this is an actual syntax error but is probably caused by missing libs/packages/…

Could this be caused by the missing NVIDIA toolkit? If so, where can I get it? I am happy for any suggestions.

Thank you.

Update: I narrowed it down to the following line/variable in the retroarch makefile:

$(Q)$(CC) $(CPPFLAGS) $(CFLAGS) $(DEFINES) $(MD) -c -o $@ $< (see also attached screenshot).

More precisely, the variable DEFINES seems to be the problem because I get the same error when using “echo” to display it.

grafik

Since I am not very deep in make and shell commands yet, I did not spot the error in the string (see attached below).

Maybe someone can spot it right away (see another screenshot below)?! :sweat_smile: