Failed to open liberetro core help! (Dolphin)

So for days I have been trying to download the dolphin core from retroarch and each time getting that message. Finally 2 days ago I opened retroarch and downloaded the dolphin core again and it opened and worked perfect. But my hard drive went out and I lost the core do now the same problem keep getting that message. Is the core sometimes broken when downloaded? Also is there a way to manually download the dolphin core without retroarch?

I’m not aware of anything that would make it change from day to day. The core hasn’t gotten any notable commits for a while… Nevertheless, you can download cores from buildbot.libretro.com and manually place them in your cores directory.

If the issue continues, post a verbose log of you trying to load the core and I can take a look.

I have tried downloading just the cores from there but the folders are empty. The nightly build because the stable build makes you use the core download feature in retroarch.

wut?

Anyway: https://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/windows/x86_64/latest/dolphin_libretro.dll.zip

It is still saying that so how do i get the verbose log? Also is there suppose to be something in the system folder in retroarch?

https://docs.libretro.com/guides/generating-retroarch-logs/

There is something that goes in your system folder, but it’s not absolutely necessary and shouldn’t be causing the core to not even load.

Ok here is the verbose log file

Hmm, your xinput2 audio driver is failing to load, as well. Do you have directx installed? Are you using Win10?

Yes I am using windows 10 but I also have a windows 7 pc with direct x installed and the same issue. Here’s a new log after reinstalling direct x

[ERROR] Failed to open libretro core: “C:\RetroArch\cores\dolphin_libretro.dll” [ERROR] Error(s): The specified module could not be found.

It looks like xaudio2 is not installed and/or there are other windows dependencies missing

1 Like

Ok I got it working. I installed vcredist_x64 (2005), vcredist_x64 (2008), vcredist_x64 (2010), vcredist_x64 (2012), vcredist_x64 (2013), and vcredist_x64 (2015) so I don’t witch one it was but now it loads and works. Thanks so much for all of your help!

Having a similar issue. Getting the same error “failed to open libretro core”. Tried fixes from OP but no go. Here is the log file:

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Used to working in Linux so a little out of my element.

I am experiencing the same problem on a brand new install of Windows 10. The only software installed so far is RetroArch, and the BthPS3 Bluetooth controller driver.

Running RetroArch and trying to use either the Play! or Dolphin cores resulted in an error stating that Libretro could not be loaded due to a module not being found. The N64, SNES, and PS1 cores I’m using run with no problem.

I ran RetroArch with logging, but the logs provided no additional info… libretro loads the core, then errors out with Module not found. I verified that the Dolphin and Play! DLLs were in the RetroArch cores directory. I then started googling and came across this thread. Seeing clockman’s post about installing some of the MSVC runtimes fixing his issue, I went looking for some MSVC runtime installers, and came across this gem:

Downloading and installing all of the MSVC runtimes in that collection fixed the issue… both Dolphin and Play! are now working.

It would be nice if Libretro could provide errors listing the file name and version of any DLLs it fails to load. The installer could also be updated to check for any versions of the MSVC runtime which are required by not installed. I imagine this problem doesn’t come up much, install enough games from Steam and you’ll eventually end up with every MSVC runtime, but it would be a good practice just the same.