Feature Idea : 3 levels of options

In my advice a good feature in retroarch would be to specify when u set an option the level u want this option be applied.

There could be 3 levels :

• Global
  • Core
  • Game

options in game config are prior to those in core config and options in core config are prior to options in global config

Example : I want play Street of rage (genesis game) with genesis region “NTSC-U” to have the game in english. I set the option region_detect= “NTSC-U” with level : “game” => The option is writed in a config file for that game and when i launch the game if a config file exist for that game retroarch load it, overriding the gobal or core setting. => similar to --append “config file”

All could be in the UI for not having to write in the config files.

You can already do this, though it’s perhaps not quite as easy as it should be. In the config section: [ul] [li]Save Configuration On Exit: ON[/li][li]Configuration Per-Core: OFF[/li][li]Use Per-Game Core Options: ON[/li][li]Load Override Files Automatically: ON[/li][/ul] Save general core configurations to :\config<core name><core name.cfg> Save per-game configurations to :\config<core name><rom name.cfg> Save per-game core options to :\config<core name><rom name.opt>

The easiest way to set this up, is to bring up the core options and use the “Game Options File” option (first item on the list) which will create a correctly named and placed .opt file. For your other config files, you will have to set up your config, and select the “Save New Config” option. This will create a file with: :\config&lt;core dll name.cfg> Rename this to <core name.cfg> and place it in the correct directory. Creating a game options file first makes this a lot easier, as that creates a directory for the core, and gives you the name that RetroArch uses for that core. You can rename this to <rom name.cfg> instead, if you want it to be a per-game override instead of the per-core override.

There are a lot more manual steps here than I’d like - I wish there was just a “save config file” option which then prompted you to save the global retroarch.cfg, <core name.cfg> or <rom name.cfg>, but in the latest Nightly it seems to at least be saving per-game overrides automatically now. However that was already the easiest of them, because the very first option on the list would write <rom name.opt> already. It also writes all core options instead of the options specific to the current core, which is a bit annoying.

I have an example of my setup for a game in this topic: http://libretro.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5475

Region is a core option but would be good to specifiy u want apply the setting at core level or at game level. At game level the setting override the setting at core level. I think this could be more easy to do like this than to switch with way to manage config file actually.

[QUOTE=altair72;38315]Region is a core option but would be good to specifiy u want apply the setting at core level or at game level. At game level the setting override the setting at core level. I think this could be more easy to do like this than to switch with way to manage config file actually.[/QUOTE]

That’s exactly how it works if you change the settings and create a game options file. (first item in the core options menu)

Yes but the pb when u do that is that all settings u do is apply only for game. So when u want change something global u have to switch and at the end u dont know what is global/core and game.

Create a core options file, and then create game-specific ones after that. The core options file will be loaded if no game-specific options file exists.

Hi : a question from what version of Retroarch is core options > Game Options File available ?