Feature Request: Dropbox support for save states?

Maybe I’m way out of my depth here, but I keep wishing Retroarch had some kind of cloud support for save states and save files in general. At first I thought that would require a specialized server run by Retroarch themselves, but after thinking about it some more… sites like Dropbox have an API so you can access the contents of your Dropbox account from non-Dropbox applications.

So… why couldn’t Retroarch just have an option where you slot in your Dropbox credentials and you could send save files and states up and down to the cloud so you could play games cross-device without having to manually move the files yourself?

Recently my desktop died. I was in the middle of replaying A Link To The Past for the first time in like 15 years, and rescuing that LTTP save file so I could get it working on my laptop took quite a bit of work. Similarly, I’ve been playing Final Fantasy 5 through RetroArch on my Android tablet, and I keep wishing I could pick my game up on another device and only use my tablet as a portable option. Being able to save and load state data directly from Dropbox would be incredible, and something no other emulator currently does.

And if not Dropbox, what about Mega.co.nz? Or Google Drive? Or Microsoft’s Onedrive? Mediafire? Etcetera? There are a lot of cloud storage solutions with API support, and these data files aren’t big enough to really worry about filling them up with states and SRAM files.

Just food for thought.

This has been asked a number of times. This answer sums it up pretty well: http://libretro.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5731&p=38693&viewfull=1#post38693

By default RetroArch stores saves/savestates to the content (rom) directory. You could move your saves/savestates to a folder inside Dropbox and point RetroArch to it?

You need to enable Options > Saves > Sort Saves/Savestates in Folders You need to use the format :\saves<core name><rom name>.state