Final Burn Alpha compatibility list for GameCube and Wii

This is a compatibility list I worked on last summer for the FBA cores for Wii and GC for the 1.0.0.2 release. This list builds on the work of others. Original thread here Starting a new thread so I can share a new download link I’m also about to start regression testing on this rom set against the 1.2.2 release for GC. But I said I would share/publish this 1.0.0.2 list again as a starting point, and before I forget again.

https://anonfiles.com/file/333a52e3785d8d875d81f7c44b304c0e

The 1.2.2 release FBA cores for GameCube have grown in size since 1.0.0.2 and thus take up more RAM and leave less space for loading game ROM code. This has squeezed out many games from being able to run and thus reduced the compat list, but seemingly without the benefit of any newer features that run in Wii but not GC. Therefore I would say 1.0.0.2 still has the best compatibility (and stability) for GC. It might make more sense to refresh the compatibility list and mark it for 1.2.2 for Wii only at this point, since the newer features/fixes (e.g. resolution saving) are probably worth that extra RAM usage needed yet sacrifice being able to run some larger games that were right at the edge of RAM usage previously.

Does “working” mean it should work for all users? What are some possible reasons that a rom that works in your list won’t work for other users?

Bad ROM sets most likely.

Can you post a new download link? That seems broken…

I just checked the link same as above and it’s legit

https://anonfiles.com/file/333a52e3785d8d875d81f7c44b304c0e

Uh, strange! I can’t reach the page…

PM me and I’ll email it to you. It’s an MS Excel spreadsheet too large to attach to forum post and compressed files (zips, 7z) aren’t allowed.

So, is there any possibility of a fix for ROMs that are too big? Any possible workaround in the future? Or is the solution to basically not try to play Neo Geo games on the Wii?

Did you even look at the compatibility list? It supports 152 NeoGeo titles. 199 if you include the alternative versions/bootlegs of the same parent rom. 28 unique titles are marked unplayable because of the RAM limitation. So almost 85% of the entire NeoGeo MVS library works perfectly. I grade that an A. There was talk on other threads of attempting to try caching or swapping of code chunks in and out of RAM for the larger games. But it’s extremely complex software engineering in an FBA port specific to Wii that would have to deal with that dynamically It can be done - the Wii VC titles like Last Blade are proof it’s possible. But they are one-game custom commercial emulators developed with access to genuine SNK source code. I wouldn’t pine away expecting it to surface here.

[QUOTE=beerbarian;28164]Did you even look at the compatibility list? It supports 152 NeoGeo titles. 199 if you include the alternative versions/bootlegs of the same parent rom. 28 unique titles are marked unplayable because of the RAM limitation. So almost 85% of the entire NeoGeo MVS library works perfectly. I grade that an A. There was talk on other threads of attempting to try caching or swapping of code chunks in and out of RAM for the larger games. But it’s extremely complex software engineering in an FBA port specific to Wii that would have to deal with that dynamically It can be done - the Wii VC titles like Last Blade are proof it’s possible. But they are one-game custom commercial emulators developed with access to genuine SNK source code. I wouldn’t pine away expecting it to surface here.[/QUOTE]

What a hostile response to a non-hostile question. I want to play the Metal Slug series on the Wii, and as of right now with 1.2.2 it can only play the 1st one. I did look at the comp list.

Use 1.0.0.2, you can play MS1 and MS2 on that.

I gave you thorough answers to a set of questions you ended with …

…which I read as not wanting to try and just giving up. If you are going to start off in a discussion with that solution proposal, you are going to get advice contrary to that solution. Basically “don’t give up, there are loads of Neo Geo games that work”. You might not like the advice or its delivery and you might think it’s hostile. That’s your interpretation. All it is is advice, summarising what is already on the forum. The list as it stands is for the 1.0.0.2 release, I’ve tried to make that clear, and there’s a status for the Metal Slug titles - and as Charco noted - 1 and 2 work.

Thanks for the list, beerbarian.

Does anyone know if this same list of games working applies to the individual cores? Say for example, using FBA_Neo or FBA_CPS2 core against the full FBAlpha core.

I use the Neo Geo, CPS1, and CPS2 cores for their respective games. Use the FBA core for anything else, Konami games etc.

Is it possible to please have a csv version of the list? Thanks.

https://anonfiles.com/file/3ab3b6caf5c99f76e3b5eb8b52ae77f7

Exactly. I highly recommended putting each of the different rom types into separate folders on SD (or USB), and then use the per-core configurations for each of these FBA cores for the different paths e.g. put all the NeoGeo roms in a folder on the SD card

sd:/retroarch/Arcade/NeoGeo

Load up the NeoGeo (FBA) core, and set the content directory to that path, and then quite to save this config. Next time you load that core and browse for content, you’ll be dropped into the proper folder. Repeat for CPS1 and CPS2 but with a top level dir

sd:/retroarch/Arcade/Capcom/CPS1 sd:/retroarch/Arcade/Capcom/CPS2

and set the paths for each of these respective CPS cores. You could throw all the remaining roms into one big folder, and then set the content dir path for the Arcade (FBA) core to that. I go a step further and put the roms into various subdirs that match the “Platform” column on the sheet

sd:/retroarch/Arcade/Taito sd:/retroarch/Arcade/Sega sd:/retroarch/Arcade/Irem sd:/retroarch/Arcade/Konami sd:/retroarch/Arcade/Psikyo sd:/retroarch/Arcade/Cave sd:/retroarch/Arcade/Data_East sd:/retroarch/Arcade/Capcom <= the non-CPS (older) Capcom roms go here

and so on. I set the content directory to be the parent folder sd:/retroarch/Arcade. Then when browsing for content for the “big” FBA core I know to avoid the NeoGeo folder and the CPS1 and CPS2 folders inside Capcom, but everything else is good. Organising it like this means less chance of loading the wrong rom for the specific core which results in nasty crashyness.

beerbarian: thanks for the csv file.

Minor update to mark two bootlegs of baddudes as slow.

https://anonfiles.com/file/6f7b69b29276f7c4b55582b9960d20e2