Final Fantasy 8: Music crackles when loading the world map

This happens whenever I have the internal GPU resolution set higher than 1x.

Can someone tell me why, or if there’s any way to deal with it? I really like the way it looks at 2x resolution, but I will not tolerate the music farting at me every time I exit a town or battle.

Thanks for reading. :slight_smile:

Enable “Display Framerate” in the video settings and when it’s crackling and stuff, check whether it’s going below 60 fps. If so, your computer isn’t processing fast enough. You can try to disable or simplify the shaders you’re using or a bunch of other things. If that’s not the case, IDK!

Nope, no drop in the framerate, and I’m not using any shaders, either.

Thanks for trying.

Is it safe to use ‘CPU Overclock?’ And might that be a possible fix?

I have an Intel Core 2 Duo, 3.16 Ghz.

Updating your gpu drivers works wonders too. Also try changing your gpu settings to performance.

Both already done before I posted, but thank you anyway.

Try disabling Hard GPU sync.

It used to run fine in older versions but recent versions broke this option completely for me.

Try enabling “Audio Sync Enable” in the audio settings and enabling “VSync” in the video settings. Make sure “Video Driver” is set to “gl” in the Driver settings and Audio Driver is set to “xaudio”. With these settings enabled, if your monitor’s refresh rate is close to the core’s run speed (so, near 60 Hz), RetroArch should change the game speed and audio speed to imperceptibly match your monitor’s refresh rate and change the audio rate between frames accordingly, preventing crackles.

Please report whether it worked. :slight_smile:

If this doesn’t work, it’s probably not a sync issue and it’s more likely related to the core. You can check out the core options by escaping to the quick menu which is the F1 key by default, I think. “Core Options” there should let you change some things.

I had already enabled them before posting, yes.

Hm. Well, I guess I’ll just be patient and wait for an update.