FinalBurn neo AES/MVS game mode

Hi. I have a question about neo-geo games. Is it possible to have two neo-geo game lists? The idea is that one list called FinalBurn neo will run games with the MVS option (this is an arcade mode for neo-geo games). However, the second list called SNK - Neo-geo played neo-geo games in console-home mode (AES). If possible, I would like each list to use the same core - FinalBurn Neo. I have tried various methods and bios settings, but to no avail. For example: if I enable MVS mode for Metal Slug in the first list via BIOS, the game will also run in MVS mode in the second list, not AES. Can anyone help as I’m running out of ideas.

Yes, with folders. In simple terms, you create a folder with a unique name (i have in example “fbneo” for arcade mode and “neogeoaes” for Home mode). It’s a simple concept, but it involves having the Roms saved twice, as they act independently.

• Just copy the files in the other folder.
  • Run the game from from that folder and make all the settings you want to have for this system.
  • Now comes the important part: Save the settings based on the folder. What I mean is, after setting the Neo-Geo mode in the core Neo-Geo Settings, head over to “Core Options” > “Manage Core Options” and save the configuration to “Save Content Directory Options”.

This will create a second configuration file with the name of the folder you was in. In my case it is neogeoaes.opt (because of folder name neogeoaes). In example the config folder for the core FB Neo core looks like this:

FinalBurn Neo.cfg
FinalBurn Neo.opt
FinalBurn Neo.slangp
neogeoaes.cfg
neogeoaes.opt
neogeoaes.slangp

That means that all settings for the core are independent, not only the MVS/AES setting. So have this in mind. This thing works also with other cores and even with Shaders; I have different shader for AES games and a different one for MVS and Arcade in general. All with the same core.

Edit: Removed link, to not confuse anyone.

@thingsiplay thanks for the answer and advice, but I still can’t set it up. The problem is that the options in finalburn neo core just don’t work. When I set the neo geo mode in the options to AES Europe/Asia, the game still starts in MVS mode. I also tried setting AES Asia in Dipswitches. And in cheats set select cadridge neo geo type to Home and still nothing. Only when I set the bios to e.g. universal bios 4.0 when running the X+A+B game (xbox one controller) can I change MVS to AES. But as I wrote earlier, this will change the settings for Metal Slug in both lists.

If this works with Universal Bios, so you can play the AES version of Metal Slug? Then you can use the technique I described above to create a separated setting. The idea is to have a folder with Roms dedicated to Arcade and one folder dedicated to AES (where you copy all the AES Roms to). And with the description in my above reply you create two separate settings for the core. Whenever you launch a Rom from the “neogeoaes” folder (you can name it whatever you want, its just what I use), then the settings dedicated to that folder will be loaded in.

I hope this is not too complicated, but it is the only way I could solve this issue. As for why it does not work with the other Bios, it might be because you don’t have the correct neogeo.zip with all the correct Bios versions in it.

When I press F5 in the retroarch menu in the finalburn neo tab, I see all the bios files in green. I have two separate folders and playlists:

• FinalBurn Neo
  • SNK - Neo Geo

There is the Metal Slug rom in both folders. The game is also added to both playlists in retroarch. In finalburn neo I use univerbios 4.0 bios, but I also tried others. When the game starts, using the controller combination A+X+B I can change the game’s MVS mode to AES and only like that :confused: Unfortunately, no finalburn neo core options want to change this mode.

This option should change the game mode from MVS to AES but it does nothing. I also tried with another Pulsar game and it’s the same.

This screenshot is not from the FinalBurn Neo core.

The core options look similar to how they were in the FBAlpha core around 10 years ago.

This “Psikyo/Kaneko SH2 mode” especially is something i removed around 2015.

Sorry @BarbuDreadMon, I wanted to quickly post a picture to make it clear what I’m talking about. I mean this option exactly:

This option works perfectly well on my side.

Did you maybe not close content after changing it ?

When I change to AES Europe/Asia, the MVS mode is still there. I will try to delete all saved configurations for finalburn neo.

edit: Of course, the game was closed and restarted

Yes, i can only suppose your issue is coming from some override preventing the change of bios.

I’ve probably tried all the options in FB neo options and still nothing. I don’t see any saved FB neo settings. It is simply impossible to change the MVS to AES option in the FB Neo settings.

I have no idea why, but suddenly everything works fine. Probably changing the nego-geo bios helped. Thanks for the help.

1 Like

I guess i was a bit naĂŻve for not considering you might have an incomplete neogeo.zip romset.

I thought so too, but I changed the bios for the first time in FBNeo and I never had a problem with the default one. I have one more question about nego-geo cd. I have a game file in the folder: “SNK - Neo Geo CD” (bic/cue format). What do I have to do to make the games from the playlist (same name - SNK - Neo Geo CD) start automatically? The documentation says to add command line --subsystem neocd. However, I have no idea where to look and what exactly to enter there.

edit: Some simple method would be useful. Automatic or manual playlist scanning.

I don’t know what’s a “default one”. The only thing i know is that there is a correct neogeo romset for FBNeo and that’s not the one you had. If your neogeo romset is missing the bios you select, which was your case, FBNeo will fallback to an available one.

Read it again, this time in its entirety.

I don’t see anything else here except: “You need to add --subsystem neocd to the command line, or to place your games in a neocd folder”

However, the problem is that I want the games folder to be called:

SNK - Neo Geo CD

I know I’m weird :slight_smile:

If you don’t want to rename your folder to neocd, then use the subsystem parameter.

Edit: actually, if you prefer, there is a 3rd method which consists in prefixing your cues with neocd_. It’s not documented because you’d need to be extremely weird to prefer that method over the 2 others.

2 Likes