*FIXED* [Nintendo Switch] - PCSX ReARMed "Failed to load content"

Pre-post Update - So in a weird twist before completing my post (slept between initial draft and the actual post) I actually fixed my issue, still going to post however in the off chance that someone else has this obscure problem, hopefully it may help them because holy hell was this annoying.

Hello,

I have a problem that I can’t seem to figure out, the search terms I am using only loop me back into problems that are kind of similar to mine, but not exactly, so coming here for help after getting nowhere after a few days.

I likely am going to give way more information that is needed, so sorry for the possible wall of text.

Preliminary Details: I am aware that exFAT supposedly has problems with homebrew setups, however I have been running PSX games with no issue at all, in addition to other cores with my SD card formatted this way, I recently decided to clean up my SD card and format it, I am now plagued with a problem I can’t figure out.

My Setup:

• CFW SXOS v2.9.2
  • 400GB SD Card (Formatted in exFAT)
  • 1.8.0 - PCSX-ReARMed (r22 7375bf9)
  • SCPH1001.BIN (Stored in retroarch\cores\system)
  • ROMs are extracted to individual folders with .bin and .cue inside (IE: \retroarch\roms\psx\GAME NAME\ game.bin and game.cue

Problem: Boot into SXOS, load up RetroArch and load the PCSX ReARMed core, go to select my respective game by browsing to the folder it is stored on to not be able to see any .bin/.cue file in folder, yet the “load with core” option is still present, if you click “ok” a “failed to load content” message will display at the bottom left of the screen.

Attempts at Resolution:

• Copying all data off SD card, formatting and re-populating SD card with all data again.
  • Completely formatting SD card, only adding boot.dat, license.dat, retroarch folders and randomly selected ROMs out of my prior backup mentioned.
  • In lieu of extracting the ROMs from their original .zip file, left it archived and tried loading from the core that way.
  • Trying reverting back to an older core.
  • Some other things I have forgot by now.

Fix: Eventually I manually created a \GAME NAME\ folder inside of the \retroarch\roms\psx\ directory, and extracted the ROM into the folder directly.

For whatever reason this rectified the issue, now any game.bin and game.cue files that are stored within the folder are able to be seen and launched.

I have been copying pre-created folders to my SD card before without issue for a while, so why this occurred out of nowhere I do not know, but happy to know that I found a workaround going forward.

1 Like