FM-Towns in RetroArch

MAME SL from FM TOWNS will require you to create an account, but I think a specific thread on HyperSpin will help.

Use LB’s MAME Software Lists Import Tool plug-in to import FM-TOWNS in MAME name format, combine the necessary files provided by HyperSpin’s specific thread, and then configure LB’s settings on LB’s forum. I forgot the location of the thread in the LB forum, although I refer to the part pursued within.

Since MAME SL cannot coexist with MAME Arcade, add Retroarch separately by adding an emulator. However, since the name is duplicated, change the name and register. And make it like the screenshot. (The screenshot is in Japanese, but I think the check box position and item placement are the same.)

This should work fine. FM TOWNS and FM TOWNS Marty do not require any special command once you put the instructions or the prepared file in a specific thread of HyperSpin.

After that, use the LB plug-in called Hyperspin2LaunchboxPlaylist to import the FM TOWNS XML file provided by a specific HyperSpin thread, and it will be reflected in the LB with the correct structure.

1 Like

HyperSpin specific thread here.
https://hyperspin-fe.com/forums/topic/43353-ongoing-retroarchmame-software-list-project/

MAME Software Lists Import Tool Plugin for LB

Hyperspin2LaunchboxPlaylist plugin for LB

Thank you @Ranmori! :grin:

2 Likes

This is off topic.

Is the address with @ automatically recognized by simply pressing the @ key and then entering the alphabet of the ID? I don’t know how to do this and I’m having trouble lately.

@Duimon

Oh, it looks like it really works.

2 Likes

I finally found the corresponding forum on LB. Argument command mechanism passed from LB to RetroArch.

Apart from this, you may need to edit the platform specific ini file in System\mame\ini and the platform specific cfg file in Saves\mame\cfg at the same time. Enable the CLI option. By trial and error while RetroArch log (text file output) is enabled, I think it will be easier to understand what kind of logic works.

1 Like

Slightly, but hardly noticeable. :sweat_smile:
It is very interesting, thanks for sharing. ありがとう!

Do you know of any sites that have information on Japanese games?

Japan has a fairly small emulation culture and is not too passive when it comes to retro games.

And speaking of Japan’s Galapakos personal computers, “NEC PC”, “FM TOWNS (including Marty)”, “Sharp X1/X68000”, but there is no list that covers everything yet.

This is because there is too much free software. There are omissions even in commercially available games.

I think it is similar to the fact that there are an unusually large number of IBM PC or DOS/V games in the world that cannot be covered.

http://ahirudanna.html.xdomain.jp/towns_soft.html

I don’t think it covers everything, but here is the FM TOWNS list with the page updated in 2021.

1 Like

Yes, I saw how it was a scandal when they released some DOS games, on the contrary, I’ve seen FM Towns, NEC PC, etc. There are almost complete collections available. I am also curious that there are more and more shared as “preservation” with a high level of detail and high resolution scans.

I’m not really looking for all of them, I’m looking for a site that has related information in general, like mobygames.
I am making a collection with games like Angel Gates, Alex-World, Incarnatia and others. Getting the images is very difficult, but the information is almost impossible.

1 Like

mobygames seems to have its own database uploaded by users outside of Japan. I’ve heard that the actual number of games is over 800.

hmm…
Are you going to Akihabara in Japan? :rofl:

I don’t know if there are any FM TOWNS specialty stores now.

Also, in Japan, the MSX0 and MSX3 projects, which are reprints of the MSX, are currently underway, and the X68000Z, a reprint hardware of the X68000, has been released, and the Egg Project has decided to expand to the Nintendo Switch.

But that doesn’t include FM TOWNS. I regret this. FM TOWNS’ dedicated CRT was an OEM by SONY Trinitron, so the graphics were very beautiful, but…

It seems that there are collectors of Japanese Galapakos computers such as FM TOWNS in Japan. But I don’t know him.

1 Like

Maybe in the future. My fate depends on the gods. :sweat_smile:

I have read something about the FM Towns and X68000 Z Mini reissues. too bad Japan doesn’t place these products internationally, now with AI translators, magic can be done.
I don’t want to make hardware collections, just emulation for distraction and good memories.
Galapakos computers? What is this?

1 Like

About Galapakos computers. :rofl:

Japanese people probably don’t think so…or rather, it’s a PC made in Japan that everyone probably forgot about. A computer that can’t handle English backwards. It’s strange when I think about it now. :upside_down_face:

IBM PC or AT compatible machine or DOS/V (this is probably also a Japanese name) I remember that the English base was DOS, and DOS with a Japanese driver was called DOS/V.

By the way, the reason why it’s a galapakos is that when you boot from the HDD on a NEC PC, the HDD is the A drive. Also, if the expansion bus such as ISA slot and PCI slot is NEC PC, it is C bus, but this is also not a type that plugs directly into the motherboard, but an inverted T type slot. It was a structure that was horizontal with the result motherboard. For IBM, it’s a riser card. It was the worst scalability. Extensibility is almost zero. Existence of FDD 0 drive which is impossible in IBM PC only for Sharp.

Because of that, it didn’t win against the IBM PC and perished. That’s why I call it the computer of the Galapakos culture.

Japanese mobile phones were called Garapakos Mobile Phones, abbreviated as “Galake”, before the iPhone and Android appeared. It has a similar meaning. :joy:

2 Likes

Hey @Duimon Could you link the project these nice pictures you posted come from?

1 Like

Sure. :grin: They are all presets from my Mega Bezel graphics/presets project.

https://forums.libretro.com/t/duimon-hsm-mega-bezel-graphics-and-presets-feedback-and-updates/28146

A lot has happened since you last posted in the thread back in May of 2020. :wink:

2 Likes

Thank you. This time i’ll try to keep up the pace :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Very interesting. I am very honored to be the first Latino to meet Galapagos PC. :pleading_face:
I relate Galapagos with Chile because I am from Venezuela, but if I know the Galapagos Effect, it is stacking, like the minimac or also known Sandwich as the MiSTer FPGA (it is also a mental syndrome).

This is the first time I’ve searched so hard and gotten absolutely nothing not a photo, this may fall between myth or legend.

This is what I mean, there is little or no information. And it’s not about collecting or emulation. It’s the human part, it’s history, it’s the work of engineers, software developers and designers.

1 Like

In the case of Japan, it means this one.

1 Like

Yes, I had an “epic mix-up” (normal for me). I mistook it for a strangely named childhood syndrome. Sorry about that. :see_no_evil:
The isolated production thing, I didn’t know that, but on this side, they give that name to things that pile up (like turtles). A good tip.

2 Likes

When I played Myst on the PSP around 2011 or so to see its differences I remember reviewers saying it received a “wide screen” treatment" and etc, I wondered how that was possible, unless the original developers rendered each of the original scenes in a wider aspect from the start, which was very unlikely. Out of curiosity, I just tried it out and interestingly it has smooth transitions very similar to the ones you mentioned about the MAC release, I took a screenshot from the PSP release followed by the DOS one, then I thought that by using the DOS release in full screen looked correct to me, the big cog uphill doesn’t seem stretched and when I set it to 4:3, which was something close to the CRT monitors, it didn’t look right, everything got squished, so I compared the PSP and the DOS side by side they look identical as far as aspect ratio goes, while the PC release is much sharper for obvious reasons:

PSP Screenshot at 1x resolution (full screen)

DOS PC without shaders (full screen)

Out of curiosity I’ve tried the Saturn next, it has borders and the image is indeed wide, so funny that my brothers and I played it and Riven a lot on the console in the 90’s but I didn’t remember the game had these borders on the CRT:

Saturn, no shaders (full screen)

I used the Mega Bezel shader to remove the top and bottom borders as much as I could and it almost fills the screen, I think that filling the whole screen like in the PSP and DOS versions probably stretches the images a bit.

Saturn, Mega Bezel used to increase the image (full screen)

And lastly, a PS1 raw screenshot just for comparison, looks really sharp, too, much more than the Saturn release. This is also true for Riven on both consoles, though on CRTs I don’t think it would matter much.

Myst (PS1)

The bottom line is, Myst is a 1993 wide screen game, not true 16:9 but close, something like 16:10 maybe, this is something I wasn’t expecting, but I noticed that many DOS games have wider horizontal resolution compared to consoles, while this is not always true, it does happen. Another unexpected game that is actually widescreen is Super Street Fighter II (DOS), it’s so funny to think developers just ignored that this game looks weirdly squished on CRT monitors, the character selection and transitions are indeed close to 4:3, but the actual gameplay isn’t, this is a screenshot using the adjustment that I set RA to fill the whole 16:9 area. Another interesting fact is that this game is based on the console assets, too. I think even the Amiga version is also wide.

Super Street Fighter II (1996)

Sorry if this is a bit off topic but since you mentioned the MAC version of Myst, I went ahead and finally checked the differences I wanted to long time ago.

Edit: simple gif showing both the Saturn and PS1 versions filling the screen as much as they can, I think the Saturn version is a bit stretched and the raw PS1 images look more natural, so the aspect is not as wide as I expected, so the PSP version indeed stretches them quite a bit in comparison, but I could be wrong.

2 Likes

Most DOS and early Windows games have a widescreen aspect ratio, because of the standard graphics modes of those times, VGA, EGA, etc. The most common format for games was 320x200 (1:6) which would be 1920x1200 (16:10) for example, in VGA:
640x480, 16 colors (4:3)
640x350, 16 colors (16:9)
640x200, 16 colors (16:10)
320x200, 256 colors (16:10) <- Also known as game mode.
It was similar to SNES but in reverse. This video has good info from 320*200

In this video you can see the main differences between Mac and Windows.

I have tested the console ports and I think they all have smooth transitions, even the Atari Jaguar one. And most of those ports are based on the 256 color Masterpiece version.

The problem was unique to Windows and was an Apple bug with Quicktime. Quicktime for Windows (practically) was released and promoted with Myst. It implemented an option that never worked with Windows and instead of fixing it in other versions, they forgot about it. Myst already had all the work and they couldn’t redo everything, trusting that it would be fixed, that never happened. That’s why the original Myst and Masterpiece carry that bug.

PS. Street Fighter is widescreen and can use Roland MT32 as sound, a deluxe version. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes