Forcing DC/Naomi to 240p on CRT (don't user shaders)?

Hi all,

I know this can be done: Reicast 240p and mame roms support

But I don’t use shaders as use the cores with CRT switchres on a PVM. How can I force the DC and /or Naomi to 240p for games like SFZero 3 Upper and Bangai O on the DC?

Cheers

if you’re using CRT switchres, you can’t AFAIK, as it’s going to send the exact same resolution that the game requests.

The Naomi (and DC) ran in 15hz and 31hz, the former outputting 240p. By default the resolution is 640x480i at 31khz, so 480i. There was a switch on the Naomi board, there’s obviously not an option to do this in the RA core, so I’m wondering if I can specify an internal resolution or anything like that?

With CRT switchres, you would need the core to support forcing that, which is a reasonable request, so maybe open a feature-request issue on the reicast-libretro github repo.

Otherwise, you could maybe do a config override to disable the switchres feature and instead force a video_fullscreen_x/y res of 320x240 or whatever it needs. As long as the modeline already exists on your system, it should snap to it.

Thanks for the help. Is it somewhere in the .ini I would need to edit that? Yes, modeline is in already.

Pardon me if I’m missing something, but I don’t see why it isn’t an option already as 320x240 works when added to libretro.cpp like this:
"Internal resolution (restart); 320x240|640x480|…

Sorry could you explain further how to do that for a noob!

Sorry, I sould have replied to @hunterk to avoid confusion. If they change that line and it doesn’t mess anything up, you won’t have to worry about it :slight_smile:

Thanks for the clarification. Where do I need to post my request to include this?

No need. Twinaphex just added it. If you can download the new core and try it out, I’ll be curious to hear if it does what you need.

1 Like

@Lordbarker Yeah let us know, I’m interested to see how this works. It should work great as its a standard 320x240. However, if there are parts that should be 640x480 you’ll probably have missing lings and things will look a bit weird.

Great. Is this in the nightlies? Couldn’t see it. Do you have a direct link please? Will test tomorrow if so when home and report back :slight_smile:

It should be available in the online updater now.

Great. All tested. Bangai-O runs perfectly now. Naomi games seem to get sprite corruption on Zero 2 Upper, still runs just odd textures around the character models.

Seems to cause graphical corruption on Alpha 3 on the Dreamcast too.