Forcing specific refresh rates with the FBA core

Firstly this problem doesn’t exist in the MAME core.

I’d like to force specific refresh rates with FBA for certain games. Certain arcade games ran at weird refresh rates like 57hz but retroarch speeds them up to 60. This is what i’ve tried:

• I set my monitor to 57hz
  • Then In the video settings in the RA gui I match the estimated screen refresh rate to 57.006042 (which is exactly what my monitor is running at)
  • I set a game specific config override line "video_refresh_rate = “57.006042”
  • I even tried disabling dynamic rate control entirely using the cfg files

Now when i run the game it still runs at 60hz. Yet if i hit F1 and go into the menu the FPS counter drops down to 57. So it’s running correctly in the menu but not in the game.

There is a thread about this on github and i tried all of the workarounds suggested there but none of them work. Stuff like reduce the max timing skew to .01 instead of .05, set max run speed to 1.0 in the frame throttle options etc but none of them work. I’ve also tried disabling the DRC entirely also. This only happens with FBA, i can get it to work fine with MAME, but i want to use FBA due to is read-ahead compatibility. Games tested - Wardner (55hz) a bunch of Data East games (57hz).

Is this a bug in FBA or is there something i’m overlooking? Thanks.

Indeed Wardner runs at 60hz vs 55 in Mame.
But other games likes Raiden 2 run at their right timing here with “sync to exact framerate” in frame throttle menu + gsync screen.

So that’s about that game (and some others?).

edit: I reported those timing issues in the fba forums.

1 Like

Cheers buddy, appreciate it.