Four Swords Controller Problem

Greetings, First off, sorry if this post is repeated but I failed to find an answer to this problem.

Thing is, I am playing Four Swords Adventures in Gamecube core (Dolphin) and I find myself unable to move when I get control of Link. Surprisingly enough, everything functions smoothly in menus (d-arrows to navigate, z,x to cancel/confirm), however, the controls are irresponsive when gaining character control.

I’m trying to play with keyboard only, if this information is of use.

Is it possible to play Dolphin-adapted games with keyboard? Many thanks to all in advance indeed!

Do you have the left analog controls mapped to anything on your keyboard? I usually map them to the numpad, but they’re not mapped to anything by default. You can map it in settings > input > user 1 binds.

1 Like

Hello again! First off, many thanks for your attention! Just done as you said, but still can’t move. I’m attaching here some screenshots of both the Dolphin User 1 Binds and the game itself User 1 Binds (which are different for some reason) Another curious thing that I believe has been left out of the screenshot is that in Retroarch the controller for User 1 Binds seems to be RetroPad, however, when in game it is bound to Gamecube Controller with “none” being the only other option.

Many thanks in advance yet again!

The retropad/gamecube pad thing is normal.

In the quick menu > ‘controls’ menu, the left/right/down/up you have mapped are the dpad, AFAICT:

You should cycle through the core’s functions (using the left/right arrows) and look for the “control stick” x/y functions.

1 Like

Woah! It just perfectly worked, I was unable to find these options until mentioned about them, wouldn’t have thought of that. Truly, many thanks to you indeed! Will I need to bind anything else to joystick functions? Many thanks yet again!

Edit: Although I can now move I lack the knowledge on how to bind attack keys for instance so moving is the only possibility for me. Here I attach some screenshots of my bindings

It looks like your remapping is a little funky.

So, the core’s functions are in the right-hand column and the retropad buttons aer in the left-hand column. Since you’re on a keyboard, the key you have mapped appears in parentheses like this: (Key: x). You can see that L2 button (trigger) and R2 button (trigger) aren’t mapped to anything, as they don’t have (Key: whatever) and instead have “—”. That means you need to map those retropad buttons to some keys in settings > input > user 1 binds (just make sure they don’t conflict with any of the default hotkey mappings in settings > input > hotkeys; if there are any conflicts, you can unmap the hotkeys by highlighting them in the menu and pressing the “del” key on your keyboard).

I see that you currently have no core functions assigned to your retropad-B or -Y buttons (your Z and A keys, respectively), so that would be a good place to start. You also have the gamecube Z button assigned to both retropad-X and -R button, so you should probably pick one or the other location.

1 Like

Oh I see, I will unmap/map everything to make sure that nothing overlaps. Many thanks to your for all the attendance and detail, really!

I will edit when I do it to check in here.

edit: Everything works absolutely smooth! Truly, my deepest gratitude for your kind and detailed help.