Freeze on main menu

RetroArch has been freezing on me at the main menu 100% of the time for nearly a year now. I was kind of hoping it’d just get patched or something, but that doesn’t look like it’s going to happen.

Details of the issue: Every time I start the app, I get “extracting base.apk,” and as soon as that finishes, the main menu comes up but is non-responsive. This happens 100% of the time on start. As far as I know, the issue started with version 1.3. The app was working fine with 1.2.2 back when that was the latest release. It specifically broke after I updated through the Google Play store, and I think the update was 1.2.2 > 1.3.0. My phone is a Moto G 2014 (I believe the exact model is XT1064). Reinstalling the app does not fix the issue. I’ve tried this probably more than a dozen times spaced out over the past several months. The issue has persisted through a factory reset of the phone.

I’d really like to get this working again, as probably a solid 25% of the time I spent on my phone was in RetroArch until it stopped working.

It’s not frozen, it just doesn’t respond to touch and we have no idea why. It affects a couple of devices, including Moto G and Shield tablets running CM13. If you can hook up an external controller, it should work just fine. Not the best solution, I know :frowning:

Gotcha. Well, thanks; at least I know what’s going on now. Is there an issue for it on the GitHub issue tracker that I can follow?

Edit: found it.

I have a new android box with an s912 processor.
The system is freezing on startup. I’ve tried to use the provided remote, a Rii Mini i8 and I have no control.

With the provided remote, I can hit the home button and get out. With the Rii nothing responds. I do have a PS3 controller but haven’t been able to connect it as of yet.

I am on the most recent 1.6.9 first from the play store, and now downloaded from here. No difference.

If I hit down on the provided remote I get a quick message that says something like "100% android gamepad not working… but it disappears quickly. It only shows it the first time I hit down and it’s hard to get it all…

the Rii has a touchpad and it shows the arrow, but clicking on it doesn’t work in retroarch (of course, it does work outside of the program).

I know this is a lot of info, but hopefully someone reads this and can help.

Any help greatly appreciated. Peace

I used MiXplorer from XDA to change “GLUI” to “xmb” per a instructional video.

Still same error… still can’t control anything with either the default controller or the Rii

ok, the remote that makes the ‘not configured’ message appear is just not mapped. If you can attach a keyboard or something and then make it to settings > input, you should be able to map it and optionally create and autoconfig profile for it so that it is automatically configured when you press a button.

Thanks for getting back to me and for reading down this thread that was kind’a old.

The only keyboard I have is a K350 wireless from Logitech It works fine in android, but doesn’t work in retroarch. Same issue

Oddly, I am able to alt tab out to force stop and re-open retroarch as I try several things to get it working…

Is there any way to force an auto update of everything by using the cofig file that may download anything needed?

Thanks for your help