Full Keyboard for a DOS game

Greetings, I’m new to RetfoArch, its loaded on my iMac and I have an Apple keyboard

I can load the game (DOS) but I cant seem to work out a keyboard configuration and do need a full keyboard A-Z to type out names etc…
Is there support for a QWERTY keyboard somewhere in RetroArch letters A-Z or a guide to configuring one so that the keys correspond correctly.

As a sidebar I used to have a dual boot Mac and used DOSBOX/DFEND on the Windows Virtual Machine but alas the VM no longer works, so I find myself with RetroArch which looks great apart from this issue

Thanks in advance

Sounds

2 Likes

Yes… there is an input option in the main RA settings called “game focus” and you want to have that on for your DOS core. It will basically give you full keyboard control, and I think there is a sub-setting to bind a hotkey to open the RA settings in-game and the keyboard will switch back to RA functions.

3 Likes

Many thanks for this… it saved me a lot of hassle

1 Like

It’s a little tricky to find. I remember I was stumped about it at first and I think someone pointed the option out for me as well.

As a side note, there is also a “Grab Mouse” option, which is basically “Game Focus” but for the mouse cursor. Especially useful if playing on window mode and not fullscreen.

1 Like