Game Boy/Color/Advance - Auto Detect Issues

Hey guys, now that I’ve been active on here for a while and tied up some other more important issues I wanted to re-visit an old problem I had, but never inquired about.

I’m running RetroArch through RocketLauncher and Hyperspin.

Now, my Hyperspin setup is pretty strange, and one of those ways is a lot of systems are combined into one. In this case I have all the Game Boy, Game Boy Color, and Game Boy Advance games in one wheel called “Game Boy HD”.

Now, to my knowledge there is no way to make RocketLauncher force RetroArch to use different cores per game, only per ‘system’, in this case the “Game Boy HD” system I have going.

I’ve been using VBA-M (the actual emulator) because it will automatically detect if I’m using a gb, gbc, or gba rom and boot accordingly. (though I can’t get the GBC bios to load…) However I have yet been able to find a method to do this using any of the RetroArch cores. Despite there being a VBA-M core, and a VBA-Next core. I checked the core settings, but nothing. I tried mgba and some others, but nothing…

Does anyone know if it’s even possible to set a GBA core to auto-detect GB and GBC games? I really want to play these games in RetroArch. In fact this is the only retro system (pre PS2) that I don’t have running in RA.

Gambatte for GB/C and mGBA for GBA are both faster and more accurate than VBA-M. It’s too bad the core auto detect feature doesn’t work from command line; that would probably work for your current setup.

Personally, I think it’s best to separate those systems in your frontend. I think each is unique enough and has enough good games to warrant their own sections.

Just to add on to what Awakened said: our VBA* cores don’t have gb/c support included, which is why they’re not working for your setup.

Also, mGBA’s author recently started adding GB/C support to it. That might eventually supersede Gambatte’s emulation and we’ll have a single core that’s best for all three systems.

I’d agree from that aspect it would probably be better to split the wheel… Thing is my whole setup is based on combined wheels.

NES+Famicom Disk System Genesis+Sega CD+32X (Had to switch to PicoDrive core to get this to work… very few issues, only had to setup a couple to boot in fusion instead of RA) NEC TurboGrafx-16+CD Neo Geo Pocket+Color Game Boy+Color+Advance (Using VBA-M)

I recently added Wii & PS2 to the system…

Thinking about putting Gamecube+Wii together since a Wii is basically just a Gamecube with more functions.

I was going to combine PSX+PS2… but I’d have to setup the ‘alternate emulator’ function throughout the entire library. Which I haven’t even finalized what games I will have on those too.

Then there’s the BS-X games for the SNES I was going to add in. I’m not familiar with those, but It’s my understanding only some of them even function with the current state of emulation and their already unique nature.

Seeing as how, as hunterk mentioned, none of the VBA cores have their gb/c functionality, I think I’ll just have to wait out the mGBA core update. Hopefully that happens sooner, rather than later.