Game stay in pause when exit from menu

Hi, I am encountering a problem suddenly on retroarch windows. I use 8bitdo sf30 pro as controller and use to enter in the menu with the choosen combo SELECT + START. since 1 year, during a game launched, I could enter in the menu and exit from it without problem continuing the game. but since one day, when I exit from the menu, the game stay in pause (not the retroarch pause but the pause game activated by start). I need to push the start button again to stop the pause and continuing the game. The strange thing and that I touch nothing in the settings. I try to update retroarch with the last revision but no luck. If I change the combo to enter menu with L3+R3, all is ok, the game doesn’t stay in pause on exiting menu and the game continue. Is there any tips or advice to explain me where to search. On an different computer this behaviour doesn’t happen so I’m stuck with this. thanks for your help regards

I have a similar problem with my SNES like controller. That’s why I switched to use the key combo Down+L+R+Y instead, which still activates the button presses ingame, but at least these are not too disruptive. So just confirming the issue here. The reason why L3+R3 might not be an issue is, because the game and core itself does not respond to any of these button presses, as it does not know them.

However on gamepads with extra buttons, I can use a dedicated menu button, like the Xbox button in the middle of the XBox One S controller. Just looked it up, the 8bitdo sf30 has extra buttons. It does have one on the left bottom and right bottom. In the below image you can see that 2 different keys can be used, either the Xbox button named Guide or when the controller is not in use the F1 key on my keyboard.

1 Like

HI, thanks for your return. I ever think to change by another button but I ever use extra button for others shortcut. furthermore, the star button of the 8bitdo on windows never been detected as a button (only switch mode) the weird thing is that the combo select +start works without interfering the game pause before. I don’t understand what happened to change the behaviour of the start button. regards

Hi, I made another test using the hotkey fonction and assigning menu on the button “start”. so “hotkey” button + “start” open and exit menu without pause the game at exit. (game normally run without having to push start to unpause the game. So it seem to be an issue only with the combo option SELECT +START. do you thing any retroarch dev could have a look on this issue ? maybe I have to report this on the retroarch github? thanks for your assistance regards