Gamebattle not saving

I was using the gbc core gamebattle to play dragon warrior monsters and the core refuses to save properly. I get through the tutorial and save in my journal as soon as I can and then reset and there’s no save file. I’m running an andriod nightly.

Are you saying with in-game saves or with save states?

Try to make a save state it will tell you if it can’t write to the current location

[QUOTE=Radius;25169]Are you saying with in-game saves or with save states?

Try to make a save state it will tell you if it can’t write to the current location[/QUOTE]

why can’t people assume others are competent? yes, of course I’m trying to in-game save

Where exactly am in implying you’re incompetent? The question is valid, many people refer to saves as savestates. Did you try what I asked?

it indeed failed to save state. idk why, it’s not like my SD card is protected

Are you on kitkat? Rooted or Unrooted? since 4.4 there is a restriction for apps writing to the SD card

I’m running android 5.0 lollipop on an LG G PAD F 7.0 and if I could root this thing I would. but no one seems to care about it at the moment

Ok, I have a workaround in the works (changing the default location when the SD is not writtable) Just to make sure, is this an external SD card where you have the roms or the internal SD?

You can go to directory settings and change the save location, there are three “root” items, one is app dir (usually /data/data/com.retroarch), the internal SD (usually /storage/emulated/0) and the root. Try saving in appdir/saves.

This has one big disadvantage, you can’t take out your saves from that location unless you’re rooted but I’ll try to figure a third valid location later today if you can stomach testing some more.

well now it won’t even load now that I updated to todays nightly. it just hangs at opening compressed file. why do the devs insist on making the app harder to use every 6 months?

also, your workaround isn’t a workaround for me. I’ve got very limited space since this thing only has 8gb and the system takes up 6.

We’re not making it harder to use, it’s google’s restriction. Blame them for making the sd card not writtable by apps

You said: I’m running an andriod nightly. I assumed you were on latest.

It works fine on the 6 devices I have, but all of them can write to the SD What is extraction dir set to?

It’s really hard to help users when they are uncooperative too. We are not making things bad for you in purpose. Google is with their stupid restrictions.

This app can fix your SD

If you can clear app data and tell me what are the defaults for save dir, state dir, system dir and extraction dir I can cook up a fix, but again it will probably end up writing to the internal memory, it will have two fallbacks at least

If you have time and you’re willing to test I have a new branch that sets different default locations depending on the ability to write to a particular location http://bot.libretro.com/.radius/retroarch-debug.apk

[QUOTE=Radius;25180]We’re not making it harder to use, it’s google’s restriction. Blame them for making the sd card not writtable by apps

You said: I’m running an andriod nightly. I assumed you were on latest.

It works fine on the 6 devices I have, but all of them can write to the SD What is extraction dir set to?

It’s really hard to help users when they are uncooperative too. We are not making things bad for you in purpose. Google is with their stupid restrictions.

This app can fix your SD https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=nextapp.sdfix[/QUOTE]

I am on the latest build. the one that removed all the native android menus in favor of using the retroarch menu only for no real reason. I was unaware that I need to set an extraction directory. I just set save and savestate to my SD like I always did.

clearing the data forces the app to hang when it prompts me with “welcome to retroarch”

just had to press the volume buttons for some inane reason. the directories all go to data/data/com.retroarch except for.

SS dir storage/emulated/0/pictures savefile blank savestate blank system blank extraction dir is data/data/com.retroarch

it’s worth noting that data/data isn’t accessible by nonroot user.

no it doesn’t hang, check the clock, it’s ticking, you just have to hit the back button on the top left corner to close it

that app will not work for me I’ve already established that I am not rooted and currently unable to unlock my device

Interesting, most are fine except savefile, savestete and system. extraction is /data/data/com.retroarch or is it /data/data/com.retroarch/tmp?

You’re using my debug apk right?

Can you come to IRC to #retroarch on freenode? it’s faster to support you like this