Gamepad Config Bug

Am I really the only other person having this issue? I’ve search for quite some time and haven’t found similar issues, except this one from a year ago: https://www.reddit.com/r/RetroPie/comments/3mhmvm/cant_complete_the_welcome_screen/

The reddit post I’m referencing blamed the bug on monitor resolution, which doesn’t make any sense for why the gamepad configuration would freeze.

When my Raspberry Pi 3 boots up with RetroPie, the RetroArch gamepad config screen comes up. It recognizes my gamepad. I hold a button and it recognizes that too. But, it won’t progress past this screen onto the button configurations. I’m using a Buffalo SNES controller.

Thanks in advance for any help! I apologize for being new to this.

Try navigating Retroarch with a keyboard. The default (and permanent, afaik) binds are arrow keys to move up/down lists, and x/z for yes/no.

That should get you to the full input config menu (or any other menu—try messing with the resolution). I use the Windows version, so I don’t know exactly what the problem would be, but you should be able to troubleshoot on your own a little bit this way.

If you need a gamepad configured to pass the welcome screen for some reason, I think there’s an option in retroarch.cfg that determines if the welcome screen gets shown. It starts off as true, then gets set to false. So you could disable it and do the configuration by scratch that way.

One last thing: RA never had a built-in gamepad config when I set it up on Windows. Maybe include a screenshot of where you’re getting stuck, so that we can make sure it’s actually RA, not some other other RetroPie program (e.g. EmulationStation, etc.).

Thanks for the quick reply!

So, it turns out, all I had to do was move the gamepad to the “zero” USB port. I didn’t realize the ports had an order that actually mattered. I had the gamepad plugged into the lower left port, next to the ethernet port. Upon moving it to the upper left, the gamepad configuration proceeded as it should. As a newbie, this seems very strange. But, I’m happy it works.

Now, I’m having a whole 'nother set of problems with visual glitches, and menu problems, but I should probably start a new thread for that…