Gamepads for Android RetroArch

Hello! So, my story is that I got a Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 and I’ve been playing mostly RPGs on it using RetroArch, which works fine, but! I’m planning on getting a bluetooth controller for it…

I’ve been thinking about Red Samurai from GameStop, being cheap and all, BUT I read online about people having issues… but said posts were from 2 years ago so I figured I’d ask here if Red Samurai works fine on RetroArch? Which model, the one that looks like a Dual Shock or the one that has a keyboard behind?

And, bear in mind I’m kind of tight in money, but also I accept other controller recomendations.

Thanks! Keep up the good work, Libretro staff!

The Red Samurai controllers are inexpensive but cheaply made. The firmware on them has evolved over time so I’d be wary about buying one if you can’t return it. The firmware affects whether it’s detected as a keyboard or game-controller in Android. Android games will only work with a game-controller. Most emulators work fine though since you can remap the buttons/controls and it doesn’t matter if it’s a keyboard or game-controller.
For roughly the same amount of money, I suggest the Nyko instead: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0092ZEINO?psc=1 If you notice the buttons aren’t mapped properly or you have issues, I had to update the firmware on mine.

My game controller preference order (I’ve used them all!):

Shield controller (requires shield device though) XBOX USB Moga Pro … then maybe Logitech F700, Amazon controller, Google controller, Madcatz, Nyko…

[QUOTE=NekoKat;21566]Hello! So, my story is that I got a Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 and I’ve been playing mostly RPGs on it using RetroArch, which works fine, but! I’m planning on getting a bluetooth controller for it…

I’ve been thinking about Red Samurai from GameStop, being cheap and all, BUT I read online about people having issues… but said posts were from 2 years ago so I figured I’d ask here if Red Samurai works fine on RetroArch? Which model, the one that looks like a Dual Shock or the one that has a keyboard behind?

And, bear in mind I’m kind of tight in money, but also I accept other controller recomendations.

Thanks! Keep up the good work, Libretro staff![/QUOTE]

Ah, are they really that cheaply made? D: i had heard better, welp. I hope this Samsung tablet doesnt give me shenanigans to connect it with a Nyko controller, since I couldn’t connect it to my Wiimote, not even with Bluez IME, it kept asking for a PIN.

How do I update the Nyko controller, if I get it?

A little late in replying, but I have a red samurai controller, and it feels very natural and comfortable to me. The buttons and joysticks are incomparably better to me than my roommate’s Moga 2. It feels about the same as a ps3 controller, only lighter. Once I uploaded the button autoconfig file to github, it worked flawlessly on retroarch as well. The only wish I had for it is a clip to attach my phone to it.

Lo and behold, I did manage to find something like that. https://www.fasttech.com/products/1931312 It wasn’t even $4 bucks and was designed for the same series of controller as the Red Samurai, so I will update once it arrives

I personally bought an iPega Telescopic controller before my recent trip. It worked like a charm; although I only tested it on the nightlies. Both analog sticks worked well on top of that with the Playstation emulator PCSX. Tested on a Note 2. I plan on testing it on my Note 4 edge when I get the free time next as well.