GBA.emu - what core?

Before I switched to RetroArch (and I’m damn happy I did!! :D) I used to have GBA.emu by developer Robert Broglia. Does anyone know what core is used in this emulator? It worked well and I’m setting RetroArch up now for GBA. I don’t know which core is best for GBA emulation.

http://libretro.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4835

Thanks talos91, I have read that thread. gpSP is the best in terms of speed and battery and mgba for the rest? But which one is being used in GBA.emu by Robert Broglia?

GBA.emu is based on VBA-M. We also have a VBA-M core, but mGBA is better in pretty much every way (faster, more accurate).

Ok, thanks for the heads up. I will be using mGBA than. Cheers

I noticed I can use a bios file with the mGBA core. What is the advantage of using one or not using one?

Using a real BIOS improves compatibility, IIRC. HLE BIOS has problems with some games.

Ok, thanks for that. But for normal use, I won’t need one, right?

Probably not but if you run into issues, that’s the first place to look.

Okido! Thanks a lot.

Any particular BIOS that you recommend? And can I just use a BIOS any way? What I mean is it always better to have one?

Sorry for all the question. :slight_smile:

Yeah, it’s better to have one. The only reason not to is because you don’t have it.

Just google gba_bios.bin.

Ok, will do. Many thanks again!

Sorry for another question… Where do I put the bios file on my android device?

At the moment the “System/BIOS Dir” is set to <Content dir> Can I just change the directory for “System/BIOS Dir” to anything I like and put the bios file in there?

Yep, that’s it. If all of your GBA ROMs are in a single directory, you can just drop the BIOS in there and not change anything and it will look for it when it loads a game. If you’d rather set up a system/BIOS directory, just put it somewhere user-writeable and choose it in settings > directories.

You can change it however you see fit, you can use the sd card or anything you want.

Thanks guys! I have it working. :slight_smile: