Geforce Now support

Geforce Now is nvidia cloud gaming platform.

It allows any steam game that opts-in, to be run on their powerful servers and streamed into the local computer.

It does introduce some latency but it allows very GPU intensive games to be run on any cheap laptop (or even phone) as long as there is a fast Internet connection.

I think it would be cool to have retroarch listed too.

I am aware most contents wouldn’t be able to be played because of copyright issues, but there are free roms that could be used and that would be awesome.

It’d allow anyone to play with the most realistic, GPU-consuming CRT shaders.

Thanks,

1 Like

No feedback at all leaves me puzzled.

Why there is no interest? Just wondering. It is free to opt-in so I can’t find any adverse reason not do that, but I might of course overlook them.

I’m just curious to know what they could be.

Thank you for any replies,

I’m sure many of us have read it, but if you have no response, it’s because no one has anything intelligent to comment on it.

If you know a bit more about RetroArch’s philosophy, you will realize that it has a different focus, it is to be able to play your original licenses of your classic games on a modern device. To play online free (and not free) games, there are already many platforms.

One of RetroArch’s strengths is eliminating latency, even native, using the stream is adding latency. Yes, shader’s benefit, but if you have an HD monitor, you’re not going to do anything using a powerful 4K shader.

This does not mean that it is not carried, but keep in mind that this is voluntary, if someone is interested and knows how, carry it. Another option for those who do not know how to do it, is to open a reward and offer some ($) motivation.

2 Likes

I saw your topic a few days ago, and the only thing that came to mind was “Are there free roms that are gpu-intensive ?”. The free homebrews i know are small 2D games which aren’t gpu-intensive at all.

Also, it’s not because something is “free” that it can necessarily be distributed by anyone under any condition, “geforce now” is a commercial activity (freemium is a commercial activity) and many “free” contents are strictly non-commercial, including several libretro cores.

1 Like

Thank you for your reply.

No ROM would be GPU intensive. What could be very GPU-intensive are the shaders! You might have not read that in my post.

I definitely have no idea about the free ROMs licences though. I will check asap and report back for the sake of knowing what could be done and whatnot.

Thank you,

I think you read that right. :sweat_smile:

In reality, free or free games are very few and very light in consumption.

Maybe engines like Doom, Tombraiden, but these all require file uploads.

I have also read that but i am not very knowledgeable about that subject. It never really occured to me that smartphones and laptop had gpus that couldn’t handle shaders at a reasonable resolution.

That’s because you don’t know my laptop. :sweat_smile: But beyond old and obsolete hardware, there are very limited systems, the rasberry for example, I think the idea is a good one.

The idea is good, what I think is bad is that you can not use anything additional, only free roms, there are few and people get bored very quickly.
Also licensing is a delicate issue, because there are games that have been released, but do not allow the use in a commercial environment.

1 Like

Yeah definitely it could only be done with ROMs that would allow any kind of free redistribution.

Those might be few, but… why not anyways? :slight_smile:

Well, let’s hope that someone falls in love with that idea and brings it out, but I wouldn’t hold out much hope because of the above.

1 Like

Consider that a lot of things here are done “just because they could” :wink:

Workload, legality concerns.

Also, very limited potential, users interested by this would need to meet all those criterias :

• wanting to play one of the few homebrews that could be included (currently 0 since none has been mentioned yet)
  • wanting to play them with extremely demanding shaders
  • having a gpu so bad that it can’t handle those shaders natively
  • “geforce now” being available on their device

While the pi has indeed one of the worst gpu available on “popular emulation devices”, it’s still powerful enough to emulate dreamcast so i doubt shaders would be that big of a problem, furthermore i don’t think you can install geforce now on a pi anyway.