Generic usb controller not recognized by retroarch

Ok, please bear with me as I’m new to the emulator world.
I’m trying to turn an old netbook, now running ubuntu, into a game emulator. I have EmulationStation running great. All my ROM’s are recognized and my controller works with ES. My problem is that when I start a SNES ROM, and retroarch takes over, my controller is no longer recognized. I’ve ran jstest and confirmed my buttons. I then tried, several times and in several different ways, to input those buttons into the retroarch.cfg under input_player1. Nothing I do seems to work and I must admit that I’m getting a bit flustered at the whole process. My controller is an old Logitech vv630, BTW.

Any help and/or guidance would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Where did you get your build of RetroArch? Old versions like the one in my now-deprecated PPA map differently from new versions, so if you’re using an old one, you should either build from latest git or switch to the libretro/testing PPA and update.

Once you’re updated, go into the settings > input settings and make sure autoconfig is set to ON and then select ‘bind all’ and follow the prompts.

Ok, Again please bear with the n00b, but the way that I did it before was

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:libretro/stable

Is this the wrong place?

Also, when I try:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:libretro/testing and sudo apt-get install retroarch libretro*

I get: Error were encountered while processing: /var/cache/apt/archives/libretro-bsnes_0.093~filtypants6_i386.deb E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

Also, also, I’m not sure where settings>input settings is. I’m running retroarch through EmulationStation. When I start the actual ROM, I can hit F1, but that menu just shows ( Settings … ) In fact all of the options in the menu except for ‘Save State’, ‘Load State’, and ‘Configurations’ just show ‘…’ and don’t seem to be changeable.

Ah, ok. The stable repo is better than my personal PPA, but it’s still quite old. Try purging your old packages before installing the new ones. There may be some crufty file laying around that’s messing up the installation.

Dunno what to tell you about emulationstation. I don’t use it and we don’t support it. I would recommend launching retroarch on its own and trying to configure it that way, and then you can try to point emulationstation at the resulting config file.