Generic USB Joystick - OS X

Hello,

I have a USB pcb controller card that is recognized by OpenEmu and MAME OS X 0.135 (configured within the MAME application).

The pcb connects an arcade Sanwa stick and buttons to a Mac.

Retroarch doesn’t seem to play nice with it, not recognizing any inputs from the stick.

The OS X system profiler lists the device as shown down below.

Generic USB Joystick:

Product ID: 0x0006 Vendor ID: 0x0079 Version: 1.07 Speed: Up to 1.5 Mb/sec Manufacturer: DragonRise Inc. Location ID: 0xfa510000 / 3 Current Available (mA): 500 Current Required (mA): 500

Any ideas how to get this functioning with Retroarch? Thx!

So, if you go into settings > input, it doesn’t recognize any of your buttons when you try to bind them?

That’s right:

settings > input > User 1 Bind All - no response to moving the stick or pressing the control buttons, I can only skip through by pressing RETURN

Update:

I noticed there was a config file ion the rertroarch.app/resources/autoconfig/udev folder which seems to match my device vendor and product ids; DragonRise_Inc._Generic___USB__Joystick.cfg

I copied and edited the file and changed udev to hid in the input_driver =“udev” entry, moved it to the hid directory

Still no success!

Turns out that an SDL input driver is probably required to make my stick work - the stick is recognized by an older mac app called retroarch-config.app which has an SDL driver. This was posted on this forum somewhere.

I’m going to add a Github issue to politely ask if anyone can add an SDL driver into Retroarch for OS X, as it’s way beyond my knowledge to do this.

You could try a very old build of RetroArch, from back before it was a native build via XCode and mostly used SDL for input and drawing its context. This is v0.9.9, from >2 yrs ago:

It’s missing a lot of the more recent bells and whistles, but the basic functionality is there and you should be able to drop new cores into it without any issues. (this is also the last version that could launch from CLI on Macs)

[QUOTE=hunterk;28279]You could try a very old build of RetroArch, from back before it was a native build via XCode and mostly used SDL for input and drawing its context. This is v0.9.9, from >2 yrs ago:

It’s missing a lot of the more recent bells and whistles, but the basic functionality is there and you should be able to drop new cores into it without any issues. (this is also the last version that could launch from CLI on Macs)[/QUOTE]

You mean no bells and whistles, lol!!

Thanks anyway, but I’ll skip. I’m planning to order a cheap PS3/PC usb interface, perhaps HID will recognize it. There seems to be PS3 HID .cfg in the autoconfig folder, so I’ll take my chances on that.

So my new Sino Lite Technology Corp. PS3/PC USB controller arrived:

also not working with OS X Retroarch!!!

OpenEmu - detected and working, OS X MAME 0.135 detected and working

However, both my USB controllers do work in Windows Retroarch, so all is not lost.

Still for convenience, I hope being able to use an arcade stick for Mac Retroarch will be possible one day.