[Genesis] [Sonic The Hedgehog 3] Can't save games (but can save state)

Hi! I just realized I can’t save game (not state) in Sonic the hedgehog 3 with either PicoDrive or GenesisPlus GX.

I mean, Sonic 3 (and Sonic 3 & Knuckles) had a save game feature. I think MD.emu was able to manage this, but it doesn’t seem to work on Retroarch’s Genesis cores.

I configured both the save state and the save game folders to the same folder. I even have some .srm files for other games like Ristar or Rocketknight Adventures, although they don’t have a save game option.

My question would be: is this expected? I mean, does Retroarch manage save games on games with battery like Sonic 3?

Thanks in advance :slight_smile:

How are you exiting it and does it have a random error when exiting? RetroArch can be REALLY stubborn with game saves,if you exit improperly,you can kiss your save progress goodbye. It has an auto-save interval option,but I wished it supported save detection whenever a game is supposed to be natively saving,like for example,talking to Dad on EarthBound to save the game. On another SNES emulator,or maybe NES for Earthbound Zero,it actually had a notification when it saved just after asking Dad to save your progress. (can’t beat the Frog in a Car though :smiley: :frog: :red_car: ) ‘why is “red_car” blue in emotes?!?’

I usually go back to Retroach menu and load another game. I get no error messages.

Maybe the problem is that it’s just not supported. I think I ready in GenesisPlus GX that the core was able to do it, but it was up to Retroarch to manage that. Perhaps it doesn’t manage it.

It’s fine since I can save state, but I wish Sonic 3 progress was saved like in the console (once you finish a zone, your progress is saved), so if I stop playing and load Retroarch again, the game boots and I continue playing like with the original game :slight_smile: