Getting MAME CHD's to work?

Tried searching this subject but not getting any search results back on here. So I recently got my hands on a 0.159 romset and I’m using MAME2014 (0.159) and I’m trying to test out some CHD based games starting with the CPS3 games and can’t get any of them (All 3 Street Fighter III’s, Both JoJo’s and RedEarth) to start. I have the CHD’s in it’s own directory named after each game zip file and placed within the rom folder and the MAME core’s options are all on default. I’m not sure what else I may need unless Retroarch MAME requires something else?

Try putting the game/chd in the same directory.

Still doesn’t work. I’m testing the game Red Earth and the CHD is labeled as “cap-wzd-5”. I first moved that directly into the rom folder and that seems to start up the game but then it gets stuck on a black screen. Pressing any buttons at this time brings up the “RetroArch isn’t responding” message after a few seconds (it also does all of this when the CHD 's are in their respective directory folders as well). I then tried to rename the CHD to the game zipfile which is “redearth” and the game simply won’t start at all.

Did you extract the CHD? If not, extract it to its own folder (same name) and put it in the same directory as the rom. For example:

MAME\kinst.zip MAME\kinst\kinst.chd

That’s for killer instinct and it works perfectly.

Yes, all of my CHD’s are extracted, I should have mentioned that earlier. I also have Red Earth set up the same way

\redearth.zip \redearth\redearth.chd (I also tried the name cap-wzd-5.chd that it was originally named)

and it still won’t start. On another note I went and tried your game and it definitely works although it’s slow and sluggish. Maybe I’m using the wrong CHD although where I got it from was part of a 0.159 romset. Does Red Earth work for you or any of the other CPS3 games?

I just tried it. Seems to work just fine. The game had to go through an initial install process, but only the first time and it took about 20 minutes. Here is my folder layout.

MAME\redearth.zip MAME\redearth\cap-wzd-3.chd MAME\redearth\cap-wzd-5.chd

The game will run without cap-wzd-3.chd but that is probably needed for something else further in the game. Who knows.

Not sure why but I always get this screen when I try to start the game:

I have the two CHD files like so:

and also the zip file:

so I’m not sure what else could be wrong. Tried updating the core, I see some options in the quick menu like “Boot to OSD” and “Boot from CLI”, tried turning those on and that didn’t do anything.

The only thing i can think of is that you have a bad rom, at least bad for the newer versions of mame. When i tried the game it was with the latest mame available on retroarch and there is no problem on my end, so it is not the core itself.

@sonkun if you have it setup probably best to confirm everything works on a pc with standalone MAME. Grab the MAME 159 version from their archive and prove it there first. That will confirm all your roms are correct and you have any other bios files needed.

I take it your loading the zip file by browsing to it with retroarch load content not Hyperspin?

Amazingly I can’t even get MAME to start on pc. Keep getting a black screen everytime I try to start up version 0.159. Tried both the 64bit and the other one they have up for download and get the same screen. And I first tried to load the content through Hyperspin and then through Retroarch stand alone and got the black screens on each attempt. I have a feeling it could be the CHD itself but I did get it from a 0.159 romset pack. I’ll try to get to the bottom of this somehow.

Meant to ask, you got that game running on MAME2014 using Nvidia Shield TV? I’m using Nvidia Shield TV with that core. At first I had the Retroarch System/Bios directory pointed to the default system folder RetroArch usually points to then I tried changing that to point directly to my roms folder in hopes of that doing something but that didn’t work either.

Sorry, for being slightly off topic but, you absolutely have to use Mame and CHDs for CPS3 games? There is always the FBA core that plays all those games perfectly in simple rom format.

It’s ok, you’re not off topic at all. Truth is I don’t have to use MAME but I would like to. I was just starting out with the CPS3 games as a test, truth is I want to try all the other games that require the use of CHD but since I can’t seem to get any of them to work (except Killer Instinct somehow) I figured I’d iron out the kinks starting with the CPS3 games first. First time I tried any CHD games (CPS3 games) were on Mame4Droid and all I did was throw the CHD’s in in the rom folder and they all just worked, things seem to be a little different here with Retroarch. I have patience though so I’ll try to get to the bottom of this plus I’m sure someone else has had/have this problem so this may help someone else in the future.

Hope I don’t get yelled at for necro-bumping a 4 year old thread, but I found this thread trying to figure out why I couldn’t get Killer Instinct to run in either mame4droid or mame4ios. The CHD version is absolutely the answer, and the accompanying solution is NOT to go and try to find an old rom set. The solution is chdman.

Grab the latest mame for your PC and put chdman into the folder with the chd file(s). Then extract the raw image with it (use chdman -? to get the correct commands) eg:

chdman extracthd -i kinst.chd -o kinst.raw

Then grab mame0.139 and name the chdman something else like chdman139, so you can keep it and a newer version handy. Use it, to compress it with the old format:

chdman139 -createhd kinst.raw kinst.chd

Done. Now the chd matches what mame4droid expects.

3 Likes