Getting started with CRTSwitchRes

hello, i want to setup an dedicated linux system for Retroarch, i want to play some games with my old Sony CRT (connected with an DIY VGA-to-RGBSCART Adaptor)

i have tried with lakka, but it doesnt seem to work for this scenario. nowe i what to try with the standalone version of RA

I want to mainly use native resolutions (My GPU is AMD HD6450) - superres come in only if the native res is unsupported.

but for now i have a few questions before i can get started…

1. what linux distro should i use?

2. do i need any kernel-hacks and/or additionals Scripts (or something like that) for linux when i want to use a 15khz display at native res with CRTSwitchRes2.0 (i read about needing hacks for some of the 480i games) ?

3. do i need any kind of modified cores for any system (i found a moded Sega Saturn-core on Alphanus Page, is it still needed to play properly?)?

Thank you guys and sorry for my messy english :frowning:

Native resolutions will be supported with with your video card. However, to remove judder you will need to use an old Kernel. you can find my Distro here . However, with these older Kernels some hardware does not work correctly. So, its best to use dynamic resolution mode. This uses a dynamic super width from 1000 - 2000 to remove this judder in later Kernels. This is probably the best mode to use instead of super resolutions as normal super resolutions have a locked width.

480i only has issues in Windows. Calamity did release a windows 7 patch to fix this. No Patch for Windows 10 as far as I am aware.

Only modded core needed at the moment is Saturn. The standard core is more geared to LCD and does not change to all resolutions.

2 Likes

I believe my distro still used 1.7.8.

1 Like

Thank for your reply and the effort in implementing the CRTswitchres!!! if i use your ISO (and install 15khz system) the system (intel Core i3 4xxx*) freezes after few minutes of playing (especially on the heavier cores like mupen and reicast). and i dont come back from retroarch to any desktop enviroment from terminal after installing the 15khz script. Also Mozilla (internet) and some other applications are not working, which make it hard for me to get the stuff right/report. sadly i am not an linux expert. but i really don’t want to use windows!

also i have tried several time with other distros but i never get it managed to working it correctly. mostly i can not get linux in “15khz-mode”.

*i have tested the hardware for hours before (memtest, prime95, furmark) all seems just fine.

that will be incompatibility with the Kernel.

Try a fresh Lubuntu 18 install. You need to add a 15khz resolution use this script . This will install a 15khz boot resolution. " Install_15khz_x11.sh "

After, download and compile RetroArch, enable CRTSwitchRes and change your resolution mode.

All should work fine.

1 Like

Thank you very much!!!

i will give it a try! :slight_smile:

i had installed the image “lubuntu-18.04-alternate-amd64” and did bash your “Install_15khz_x11.sh” script in a terminal. i have noticed some error messages while running the script. I have found some spelling-errors in the ATI-Part, after i corrected this, the script you made did finaly work!!!

The Installation of retroarch seems working too.

now i copy over some games and will do watch out for the other issue (freezing).

offtopic: The lubuntu i used, has a simple lowres installer. That “DOS-like” lowres-GUI worked perfectly for my atom-bios modded GPU, thats great!

1 Like

The System is running great as far i can tell for now. Everything seems to be fine. AWESOME!!! :smiley:

only thing is: The CRT-modified core for sega saturn is for windows only. I have tried the newest official core and it seems to work very well with 480i-Stuff …

maybe you can tell me about the issues with the unmodified core and crtswitchres? Thank you very very much for your help on this!!!

2 Likes

You can compile the core for Linux. Clone my git, navigate to the folder and all you should have to do is use " make "

You may need to down load a few pre-requisites. Easiest way would be to follow this guide as if you were going to compile RetoArch here. This should install everything that is needed.

@shakalakka thanks, I have now fixed this on my git.

thank you, i will try :slight_smile:

EDIT: should i use the sync to exact content refresh rate feature ? and do i need enable vsync for stutterfree picture?