Gluten vs Mupen?

Just been told about the glupen core being added to updater

Off to bed but grabbed it and upped the resolution + set frame buffer emulation to true as directed by a user in the Hyperspin forum.

Is it better than the my pen core or will it be do you think??

Looking forward to trying this out on my Shield TV Pro

Lol I was tired, cereal has been eaten from my post! :slight_smile:

Hopefully the core sees less downtime and it’s great to have so many choices now for N64.

Runs great on my STV Pro!

Ran into one visual issue even with accurate blending,frame buffer,and all visuals enabled including hardware depth,the Peach painting only shows Bowser the entire time. This is at 1920x1440 resolution if that’s the problem.

Also HardwarePerPixelLighting made textures black and Fragment depth doesn’t work correctly on any value it seems with stuff going behind the background or clipping planes too early. If the plugin doesn’t run off of desktop GL automatically for supported devices,then adding an option to select between variants would greatly help for Shield TV as it does with Standalone Mupen’s Full GL profile of the plugin. Android GL ES doesn’t support near-plane clipping,making several graphics clip when close enough,Star Fox 64 is a good example in the intro at the Arwings with the camera distance.

Edit: One downside currently is that its missing emulation settings for smoother framerates,the Mario head is at 20fps from the N64’s lag kicking in.

Also,there is a code that can be added as a patch for DK64 to work around the bone displacement glitch in case nobody knew about it yet,it crashes on an actual system but it would never be used on one anyway.

Here is the code for DK64 (U) found by Isotarge: 8161963C 0000 8161963E 0000

I figured out an alternate code found near this one after it was discovered,and it takes only one 8bit line: 80619632 0000

DK64 is missing the screen draw for starting a game file and the pause menu,this is likely related to the SM64 issue. Same options of Frame Buffer,Hardware/memory Depth,Accurate Blending,Noise,and LOD.

Edit2: Doesn’t matter if Color To RDRAM is on Async or Sync,both are missing the effects. Are the unlisted FBInfo settings (or use emulator help) activated,that could be one possible reason of these issues. Trees and NPCs fade correctly by distance,so that part is perfectly fine. Even turning resolution to 640x480 (despite 320x240) and Scale Factor back to 0x didn’t help. (4x is faster on 1920x1440 for 1080P while 0x has slowdown with the accuracy)

In Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards,many textures go in and out of becoming overstretched,this may be a LOD glitch.

Conker is missing pause frame rendering too and also Buga’s Knuts are not censored properly. Any chance the GLideN64 part is a little outdated currently? The censor pixelation effect started with a slow software switch,then it finally got fixed for normal rendering at full speeds.

As for Paper Mario,it runs fine,Toad Town sidewalk textures corrupting,pause background is missing,and other textures also corrupting such as the picture in the house and the Toad house sign outside of it too. Highly likely this is in relation to the Kirby texture issues,all seem to be common issues.

Sorry,I forgot to mention I am using 3-point filter mode because it is more accurate to the system and just looks better to me,but most textures look fine in other games with it,I have yet to see Zelda Ocarina to the eventual reaching of Kakariko Village to look at the staircase wall and see if it works correctly for the 3-point filtering’s proper rendering of it.

retroben:

The Android version of GLupeN64 runs at a GLES2 level, so you should have a similar experience to mupen64plus-ae/FZ with GLideN64 and GLES2 mode.

I’m not sure about the HardwarePerPixelLighting setting, I don’t really use that, you can file an issue on GitHub (https://github.com/loganmc10/GLupeN64) if you’d like.

Color To RDRAM doesn’t work in GLES2 mode (Async or Sync or anything).

There is no chance of using the full OpenGL version on Android with RetroArch (without changes to RetroArch), RetroArch itself won’t allow it. There is a GLES3 version, but it isn’t available on the RetroArch online updater right now.

That explains the common glitches,mainly Paper Mario texture corruptions being a big concern. So it actually runs quite well visually with it only being GLES2,surprised to see the blending effects that DO work such as DK64’s distance fading on elements. Performance issues are primarily caused by GLideN64’s accurate blending putting the GPU in a choke hold while beating it senseless,Smash runs decent mostly then at one point when fighting Master Hand,it gets really slow when the background effects kick in.

Honestly,that would be really great to have all/most cores gain access to desktop GL on the few supported devices for the extra things it can provide matching computer versions in backend features and maybe better shader performance along with stronger ones than there already is. Still would like to see 6xBR get added and 3D game shader enhancements would be grand while Glupen should already have access to GLideN64’s enhancements and capable after an update to the options menu to add access to them.

What do you mean? The regular one is glupen64_ libretro_android.so, what is the full name that the gles3 version should have?