Gonetz's new N64 video plugin

So, I guess the devs must be aware that Gonetz (creator of Glide64) has been working on a new plugin that will fix many issues that have been with N64 emulation since the beginning. Judging by screenshots it’s going to be the most accurate hw graphics plugin yet. According to his blog [ http://gliden64.blogspot.com/ ] he is now releasing it as early access for his backers and public release is expected two weeks after for both PJ64 and Mupen64.

So I guess my question if any of the devs read this is: Are you planning to include this in the Mupen64 Libretro port when it comes out? and if not, could you please, PLEASE consider including this in the Mupen64 Libretro port when it comes out?

If/when it’s freely available, we’ll see about putting it in.

That from his blog:

“Ubuntu64 build for Mupen64Plus emulator. Making working binary distributive for Linux is tricky, so there is no warranty that it will work. Public release of the plugin will be open-source, and then you will be able to build the plugin from sources.”

Sounds nice.

:slight_smile:

By the way, what about Mupen64plus 2.5?

Twinaphex has been backporting a lot of gonetz’s work into mupen64plus-libretro’s gln64 plugin. It turns out it’s not wildly different from gln64, so backporting makes more sense in this case than bringing over the plugin wholescale.

At this point, the libretro port is a real fork from upstream mupen64plus, so the changes won’t just drop right in, but I think at least some of them have been backported with help from bsmiles, and perhaps more will come as needed/possible.

Gonetz mentioned some options to disable to speed up framebuffer emulation. So far, it looks great in the Mupen64 core in Retroarch using Glide64 renderer with the packported framebuffer code, but performance does suffer a bit. Would it be possible to have those options added to the core options?

http://www.paulscode.com/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=5b29ca9bc901f417683859b4c1d90dc3&topic=3163.msg16304#new

We’re not to that point with the backporting yet, but thanks for pointing it out!

Any plans on porting GLideN64 to Mupen64 core?

Maybe you can read the thread and get your answers?

Thanks for the answer

I think it would be best to separate the core that use GlideN64 from the main N64 core because it has many exclusive settings, so it would be best if it had its own core options.

Would this run better than the current one? PS1 stuff works seamlessly for me, yet Nintendo stuff is incredibly slow.

I can play Tekken 100%, yet Killer Instinct is a train-wreck at 2-3 FPS. (iPhone 4S 7.0.4 11B554a)

No because gliden64 is more hardware intensive already. If you need more performance, try going for a dedicated n64 emulator like project 64, or at least make sure you have no shaders running when you run an n64 game.