Got an iPhone 5S

Decided to get a 5S, (snatched off eBay for $200!)

Anyhow, I noticed there’s a large difference…

I already know the screen’s a little longer, giving me another row of apps… HOWEVER…

I noticed that the 4S (which I had) is 4:3 ratio… while the 5, 5S 6–> all are 16:9.

Will this affect how my picture looks on Retroarch? I have a sinking feeling everything’s going to be stretched like a retarded widescreen effect.

Lara’s going to gain a few pounds…

You can mess with aspect ratio settings to be whatever you like. I usually use ‘core provided’, which is typically 4:3 for games that were played on a TV, 1:1 PAR for handhelds.

I actually hate the 4:3. I always stretch my games to 16:9 on my 6 plus. With that 5s the “stretched” image won’t look all that stretched the screen is still pretty small.

You’re talking to someone who played RetroArch on a 4S ;d

I’m strongly opposed to altering the original aspect ratio. Accuracy with black bars is where it’s at. If you can set up a wireless controller, get an adapter to plug your phone into hdmi and use the phone as a console, THAT would be amazing.

[QUOTE=suspendedhatch;25600]I’m strongly opposed to altering the original aspect ratio. Accuracy with black bars is where it’s at. If you can set up a wireless controller, get an adapter to plug your phone into hdmi and use the phone as a console, THAT would be amazing.[/QUOTE]

… holy hellfire. Getting one. ':x

iPads are better, joking, congrats on the buy, now jail break it

I did ;U

To be honest, I didn’t really just buy it… I bought $200 worth of parts and built it myself.

I shoved TaiG on it ASAP.

Sucks when I tried to wipe my old phone I had to restore it, putting my old 4S onto 8.4 ':f … stupid me.

Now I hope I don’t screw up my file system again.

Mostly just wanted the shiny new 64bit 1,3Ghz Processor. My 4S’ 800Mhz couldn’t handle Nintendo stuff like Ocarina of Time and stuff. Playstation was good, but it got a liiiittle skippy at times, hardly noticable after a good reboot though.

I just cannot wait for 1.2 to come out now. Still scared of the 4:3 to 16:9 transfer… things might look stretched.

Makes me wonder if RetroArch is optimised for 64bit processors…

It’s not. Some cores depend on ARM 32-bit for the dynarecs, and those can fail on 64-bit CPUs, so you have to switch to the interpreter cores in that case. :frowning:

… well crap!

Am I screwed?

No, there’s still the interpreters, and the 64-bit Apple chips are quite powerful, so I think people are still getting by just fine without the dynarecs, just with more heat and less battery life.

Well that sounds bad. Won’t it ever be optimised for 64bit? I mean… 32bit devices are being phased out so far… the majority of users would be 64bit by now surely!

It means writing an entirely new dynarec, which is a huge task that requires very specialized skills and intimate knowledge of the CPU architectures of both the host and target. There’s low motivation to do all of that work if the only gain is longer battery life.

Oh is it? I see. I thought it was more-like becoming more compatible and snappier.

So in terms of heat and power usage… what’s a rough % estimate over my old 4S? Something like… 10-15%? If it’s going to kill my 5S in 30 minutes then I’m going to shoot myself x’{

I have no idea. You’ll have to just try it and see.

Doesn’t seem to be so bad. ;d

This I can vouch for haha. My 6+ can get a little warm and dies a lot quicker than it normally would. Not so quick I cant play though.

On iPhone 6, I played FFIX with a DS3 and HDMI out, it lasted 2-3 hours from a full charge before reaching the 10% warning message. At that point it was too hot to comfortably touch. I’d say it lasts about the same time if you’re on a 5S without a wireless controller or video out.

(My test times were done months ago using the interpreter PCSX core on Pangu8 before dynarec was fixed by TaiG)

[QUOTE=NekoMichi;25891]On iPhone 6, I played FFIX with a DS3 and HDMI out, it lasted 2-3 hours from a full charge before reaching the 10% warning message. At that point it was too hot to comfortably touch. I’d say it lasts about the same time if you’re on a 5S without a wireless controller or video out.

(My test times were done months ago using the interpreter PCSX core on Pangu8 before dynarec was fixed by TaiG)[/QUOTE]

I’m on TaiG ':x

TaiG should have better performance than Pangu since it fixed the dynarec whereas Pangu could only use interpreter (which is more battery hungry and performed slower, I think?).