Got Retroarch working on Sony Bravia 850C TV

I saw some threads from Sony Bravia owners saying that they couldn’t figure out how to get Retroarch properly working on their TVs - after a lot of messing around, I was able to get retroarch working. I have a Logitech F710 gamepad. First issue I faced was the fact that the gamepad did not autodetect. I got two errors when hitting a button on the Gamepad

• 100%: Generic X-Box pad (1133/49695) not configured. <- with pad in X-Input mode
  • 100%: Logitech Logitech Cordless Rumblepad 2 (1133/49689) not configured. <- with pad in DirectInput mode

I plugged in a mouse, but then ran into problems with the fact that my scroll wheel wasn’t working and I couldn’t really move around the menu screens properly. I saw a video somewhere where someone explained that you can somewhat get around the mouse scrolling issue by clicking into the last line of a menu, and then going back again. This makes it so that further menu items on the previous screen can be seen. By doing this I was able to go to the settings, and the Directory screen at the bottom in order to see all the directories. I used that trick to scroll down and figure out where the autoconf dir was. Using ES File Explorer, I was able to find the autoconf dir, but it was empty

Went back to retroarch and used the scroll tricks again to use the Online Updater to download the autoconf updates. Files appeared, but unfortunately my pad wasn’t working. After a LOT of trial and error, I figured out I needed to follow the New gamepad autoconf process outlined in:

https://libretro.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3550

That said, USB Host Viewer had my gamepad with the proper name (Logitech F710), but using that name (X-Input or otherwise) in the CFG files did not work. I ended up making two CFG files:

• 1 with input_device set to “Logitech Logitech Cordless Rumblepad 2”, input_vendor_id=1133, input_product_id=49689 (<- yes, Logitech twice, like the error)
  • The second with input_device set to “Generic X-Box pad”, input_vendor=1133, input_product_id=49695 <- this was for detecting the gamepad when it is set to x-input mode

I mapped the keys based on KeyText values, uploaded the CFG files to the appropriate place using ES File Explorer, and voila, working gamepads.

Hope this helps someone, I didn’t see anyone else post success with Sony Bravias.