[Guide] Play Neo Geo CD games using FBNeo

I don’t think thats supported. You have to use either Retroarch load subsystem or the command line described in the first post.

There should be a way to add the necessary command line to the RetroArch module for RocketLauncher, I just don’t know how to edit the module to this degree. I made a post about it on the rlauncher forums back in February but no one has responded.

I’d love to get this added in, because MAME’s configuration needs are an absolute dumpster fire lol so I much prefer FBA (FBN)

1 Like

So is a playlistable means of launching Neo-Geo CD games in? I noticed if launched manually, they can be loaded directly from the history playlist.

I looked at it, and it looks like these 3/4 lines are added

“subsystem_ident”: “neocd”,

“subsystem_name”: “Neogeo CD”,

“subsystem_roms”: [

“path-to-rom”

I attempted to add this to the end of the playlist file entries - no dice. actually made my roms disappear :stuck_out_tongue:

I would like to thanks to zackmorris who add the opportunity to play directly neogeo cd games without using subsystem with the last update. I just have a question about run ahead feature compatibility with neogeo cd games on shield tv android. On FBNEO with regular neogeo roms, the run ahead work like a charm even with 4 frames without 2nd instance active. But for neogeo cd, the run ahead give me some slowdown and crackling even with only two frames and need to active 2nd instance ON. Isn t the same core with same behaviour as classic neogeo? Thanks

Yes, I’d update the first post with the new way to load the games, but it looks like editing is locked for some reason (not sure why, maybe mods can enable editing?)

At any rate, if you update to the latest FBNeo core, and you update the Retroarch info files, then you can load Neo Geo CD games the ‘normal’ way if the games are located in a folder named ‘neocd’ (and the new core option ‘Load Subsystem from Parent Folder’ enabled, which is enabled by default). Example

...path_to_retroarch_game_directory/neocd (folder)
     League Bowling.cue (CUE file)
     League Bowling.bin (BIN file)

Then you can simply load the cue file in Retroarch using the ‘Load Content’ method. This should also now work with playlists, and Rocketlauncher, etc.

or you can load the game directly from the command line without the subsystem argument:

(Windows Command)
"...\path_to_program\retroarch.exe" -L "...\path_to_cores\cores\fbneo_libretro.dll" "...\path_to_retroarch_game_directory\neocd\League Bowling.cue"

This same method should work for all subsystems that FBNeo supports.

1 Like

What be the Advantage with the New Way of Loading Neo Geo CD Games compared to the old one? @zachmorris

it’s a direct launch without to pass by the submenu of subsystem. very useful to launch directly from hyperspin android shield tv neogeo cd games. thanks again

@hunterk has this been wikified? Anyway to allow zackmorris to edit his OP?

1 Like

Main advantages are:

• Retroarch playlists - couldn’t utilize the subsystem parameter for playlists previously, but now you dont have to provide that parameter so you can have a Neo CD playlist in Retroarch

• Other frontend support - easier loading for various frontends. I personally don’t use things like Hyperspin / Rocketlauncher / etc but some of them were finicky with the subsystem thing

3 Likes

Thanks @zachmorris

There are good Reasons.

I heard you could by manually editing them, but your workaround is more user-friendly anyway.

Greetings,

I'm trying to play rips of my own NeoGeo CD games on FB Neo and I'm having difficulty with getting the music to play.  I can rip a bin/cue with infraburner and MagicISO, but I'm not getting the music (it's just ripping the data track).  I tested out ripping with Brasero on Ubuntu and I got a working bin/cue with the music included in the bin (~700MB) but I get static instead of music (the sound effects work).  I think this may be because of a deficiency in the cue file that Brasero created.  Does anyone have any tips for ripping their own Neo Geo CD content for use in FB Neo?

Thank you!

it’s actually one of the rare case where this happens… Last Blade 1 and 2 get some simplified animation of fire and thunder… but personally i prefer NeogeoCD version for the arranged tracks! the real bout serie is a great example of games you wanna play on the neogeoCD, specially that the loadins are virtually gone (tho i think it can be done better, Rain32 do it to x48 times faster, but the emulations isnt as good in some games!) if FBneo make the loading faster + add hotkey supports (b+c ! real bout people know what i’m talking about ) it would be the most perfect neogeo CD emulator ! i would also add; even the games that didnt get their soundtrack arranged benefit from a better sound quality for the music because they are re recorded from the source and not from the compressed carts ! all this said… THE RE ARRANGED TRACKS !

When I play Neo Geo Turf Masters CD Version. Comes up with a Graphic Bug in that on some holes that have water comes up and shows that you in the Water when you are not

Screenshot

So how can I fix that issue or is it not Fixable?

Can you try the game in the neocd libretro core to make sure it’s not a game bug ? Also do you know if it happens in the mvs/aes version ?

Yeah I have tried it on the NEOCD Core and I did not see this Issue.

I have not checked the MVS/AES Version yet on FBNEO so I do that Today

Update:

Tried the MVS/AES Version and the Issue did not come up

Similar issue: Tested a Redump version of Neo Turf Masters and had no issues with the game using the NeoCD core, but FBNeo Core would not show the water on some holes, such as hole #3 on the Japan course. Occording to the minimap there should be water right in front of the character.

MVS version with FBNeo does show the water.

1 Like

@Neofuuma @DaveTheMan1985 A fix was committed, it should be available on the buildbot in a few hours.

1 Like

Thanks @BarbuDreadMonI I will try it out

Update:

Tried it and Looks like the Issue Been Fixed.

I was also wondering @BarbuDreadMon IF you are thinking of adding a Option to Skip the Load Times like in the NeoCD Core and Also what about the Bios Select as on neocd core you can use the unibios that as cheats with them?

I am just wondering