[Guide] Play Neo Geo CD games using FBNeo

Yeah I have tried it on the NEOCD Core and I did not see this Issue.

I have not checked the MVS/AES Version yet on FBNEO so I do that Today

Update:

Tried the MVS/AES Version and the Issue did not come up

Similar issue: Tested a Redump version of Neo Turf Masters and had no issues with the game using the NeoCD core, but FBNeo Core would not show the water on some holes, such as hole #3 on the Japan course. Occording to the minimap there should be water right in front of the character.

MVS version with FBNeo does show the water.

1 Like

@Neofuuma @DaveTheMan1985 A fix was committed, it should be available on the buildbot in a few hours.

1 Like

Thanks @BarbuDreadMonI I will try it out

Update:

Tried it and Looks like the Issue Been Fixed.

I was also wondering @BarbuDreadMon IF you are thinking of adding a Option to Skip the Load Times like in the NeoCD Core and Also what about the Bios Select as on neocd core you can use the unibios that as cheats with them?

I am just wondering

Well, i remember there was a good reason dink chose to speed-up the loading times instead of totally skipping them, i think it was related to the recordings feature in standalone version.

For unibios, idk if it was ever tested with fbneo, i’ll take a look.

1 Like

I took a look at unibios support, got it to boot but it won’t launch games. dink told me the reason it won’t work properly is because of the way we emulate the cd decoder chip. Getting around this would need quite a lot of rewriting, so with cheat support & region select already present we probably won’t look into this.

1 Like

Okay Mate.

Thanks for having a look into it to see IF Possible.

Have the NeoCD Core I can use to use the unibios on

Thanks for fixing the Neo Turf Masters Graphic Bug @BarbuDreadMon

Hi! I hope i won’t be annoying by asking this.

I use fbneo for neogeo cd games and I also think that skipping the loading isn’t the right solution, most games have illustrations or small animations during the loading and it would be a pity to miss them (unless it’s an option that isn’t activated by default ).

The loadings are accelerated but not that fast compared to rain32 ( I hope Im not offending anyone by comparing I don’t have another point of comparison ) rain32 give you the option of choosing the speed of the CD reader.

Also another option that I would really love in fbneo is the ability to keep the music playing during loadings. In KoF for example when you play against kyo team their theme song reset at each round. In rain32 you can make it continuous or change AFTER the loading.

Apart form this fbneo is the most accurate neogeocd emu I know :slight_smile:

1 Like

I agree that Option for Load Time is Good @Gosseyn. From Skipping them to what Speed it loads up on.

Raine does it very well but I can’t get sound using that Emulator

While making loadings faster or giving the ability to modulate the loading speed wouldn’t be hard, it would only cause issues : some games will detect an abnormality & show an error message when the loading speed is set too high. The current hardcoded value is the maximum allowed without known issues. It might be an issue with our cd decoder but as said above we have no plan to rewrite it again.

Expecting all users to use such setting well is giving them too much credit, it will be the same as cpu clock where they set it to the max globally (while it’s only useful for a few games) then come reporting issues without mentioning once that they set cpu clock to the max. Tbh we are simply not interested in causing more bug reports.

For the music thingy, that’s something worth looking into, i’ll let you know if we find how to do this.

2 Likes

i can live with these loadings, worst case scenario we have a turbo button. i didnt take into consideration the repercussions of having a function that could creat “abnormalities” and add bug reports :confused: ! The music “thingy” on the other hand that would be just AWESOME :smiley: (as playing the neogeoCD is principally for the MUSIC) Thank you for the answer and clarifications :relieved:

1 Like

that’s weird, because rain32 not only is compatible with cue+bin and iso, but also iso + mp3. you don’t get sound at all or just the music ?

1 Like

Hello, ist it normal?

I can´t start a NeoGeo CD Game in Android. I use the cue file and the Image or Bios doesnt start. In Windows works it without any problems.

I use RA v 1.8.1 with the latest FBneo Core. The Core Info said all bios are available

The Bios Files are in the Game and System/fbneo Directory

It should work, i remember fixing an issue with cdda playback for ngcd on android. Maybe that’s something related to https://github.com/libretro/RetroArch/issues/9736 ? In which case i recommend trying method 2 for loading ngcd games (i.e place your dumps in a folder named neocd and load them directly without using the subsystem stuff)

Good morning all !

I am using version 1.8.4 of RetroArch under Windows & cannot launch a NeoGeo CD game !!! Why did the Load Neogeo CD option present in version 1.7.7, that worked very well has been removed why ?

Thanks best regards !

In the latest FB Neo core, I found it under “Subsystems” after you load the core. NeoGeoCD is down at the bottom in the Subsystems screen.

Annotation 2020-04-02 121404

Annotation 2020-04-02 121404-2

@Neofuuma hello & thanks for your help I managed to launch my NeoGeo CD games :slight_smile:

I had a question about launching a command line game with Front End Attract Mode which is causing me problems… can I ask this question here ?

Thanks best regards !

1 Like

@Sebiohazard you’re very welcome, I’m glad it helped!

If it deals with FBNeo and Neo Geo CD games, yeah I’d say post it here. If it’s for other games in FB Neo, might be better to make a fresh topic concerning your question.

Front ends best use the option of launching using the parent folder name.

A post was split to a new topic: Help with attract mode frontend