Having a very specific problem with only 2 cores

I have a setup using a CRT with the 3840x480 @ 60Hz resolution and the tvout+interlacing.cgp shader which works great for almost every core, save for Gameboy and Gameboy Advance. I imagine this is a scaling issue because of the systems very small internal resolution. Do I have to set something for a per core fix? This is what I’m getting with any GB/GBC/GBA games. It seems to be the interlacing part that’s breaking, since when I disable that it displays “fine” but I lose any scanlines.

Image Issue

I know exactly what’s going on. 480 is 3x the GBA resolution (and I assume GB/GBC is snapping to 3x integer, as well) and the interlacing shader just does not like odd scale factors and I could never figure out why or any way to fix it.

You can try setting the interlacing shader to 2x scale and then, if that looks bad, try following it up with a pass of quilez.

I guess I can just disable the interlacing shader for GB/GBA stuff. I tried the 2x for interlacing and it only slightly changes the picture but does not solve the issue altogether and quilez doesn’t seem to be doing the job either. I figured it had something to do with the odd scaling.

Strange how this never came up in any of the posts I’ve read about this setup.

At 3x scale, you should be able to use something like lcd3x or lcd-cgwg. Or you could replace the interlacing shader with misc/scanline and crank up the darkness of the lines.

Actually something weird seems to work. Rather than changing the scale of interlacing, if I change the scale of tvout-tweaks from 1 to 3 it displays without visual glitching though it ends up looking a little like 480i.

I’ll check out the other two ones you mentioned

Ah, yes, it is indeed acting like 480i in that case because prescaling it is triggering the interlacing shader’s interlacing detection. Try turning on the ‘force_240p’ option in the interlacing shader’s runtime parameters and it should stop the jittering.

Thank you. This is actually working perfectly now and there’s no more jitter. I’ll just have to remember to set these options when I use these cores.

Edit, I saved it as a core preset. Somehow I didn’t notice that option before.

1 Like