Help a new Linux user

Hi.

I just tried to install Retroarch so that i can play cps-3 and cps-2 games on Ubuntu, but I’m having some problems.

I added the repository " ppa:libretro/stable " to the software sources and made an update.

Then i installed libretro and all the wrappers to fbalpha.

I opened the program, loaded the core but when i chose the content (roms) the program exits and nothing happen.

I’m sure that I’m doing something wrong. Is the wraper the same thing as a core?

Thanks.

Yeah, it sounds like you have the right packages, you probably just have the wrong ROMs. If you google ‘fba roms’, the first hit should have the ones you need.

EDIT: a log would also be nice, if you could launch from a command line with --menu --verbose.

Hi.

Thank you very much for your reply.

RetroArch [INFO] :: === Build =======================================RetroArch [INFO] :: [CPUID]: Vendor: GenuineIntel RetroArch [INFO] :: [CPUID]: Features: MMX MMXEXT SSE SSE2 MMX MMXEXT SSE1 SSE2 Built: Jul 19 2015 RetroArch [INFO] :: Version: 1.2.2 RetroArch [INFO] :: ================================================= RetroArch [INFO] :: [CPUID]: Vendor: GenuineIntel RetroArch [INFO] :: [CPUID]: Features: MMX MMXEXT SSE SSE2 RetroArch [INFO] :: Looking for config in: “/home/******/.config/retroarch/retroarch.cfg”. RetroArch [WARN] :: system_directory is not set in config. Assuming system directory is same folder as game: “default”. RetroArch [INFO] :: Loading config from: /home/******/.config/retroarch/retroarch.cfg. RetroArch [INFO] :: Environ SET_PIXEL_FORMAT: RGB565. RetroArch [INFO] :: Version of libretro API: 1 RetroArch [INFO] :: Compiled against API: 1 RetroArch [INFO] :: Set audio input rate to: 29975.00 Hz. RetroArch [INFO] :: Video @ 960x720 RetroArch [INFO] :: Found GL context: glx RetroArch [INFO] :: Detecting screen resolution 1024x768. RetroArch [INFO] :: [GLX]: X = 0, Y = 0, W = 960, H = 720. RetroArch [INFO] :: [GLX]: Found swap function: glXSwapIntervalMESA. RetroArch [INFO] :: [GLX]: glXSwapInterval(0) RetroArch [INFO] :: [GL]: Vendor: X.Org, Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on AMD RV620. RetroArch [INFO] :: [GL]: Version: 3.0 Mesa 10.5.9. RetroArch [INFO] :: Querying GL extension: ARB_ES2_compatibility => exists RetroArch [INFO] :: Querying GL extension: ARB_sync => exists RetroArch [INFO] :: Querying GL extension: ARB_texture_float => exists RetroArch [INFO] :: Querying GL extension: EXT_texture_sRGB => exists RetroArch [INFO] :: Querying GL extension: ARB_framebuffer_sRGB => exists RetroArch [INFO] :: GL: Using resolution 960x720 RetroArch [INFO] :: [GL]: Default shader backend found: glsl. RetroArch [INFO] :: [GL]: Not loading any shader. RetroArch [INFO] :: [GL]: Using 4 textures. RetroArch [INFO] :: [GL]: Loaded 0 program(s). RetroArch [INFO] :: [GL]: Using GL_RGB565 for texture uploads. RetroArch [INFO] :: Found joypad driver: “udev”. RetroArch [INFO] :: Using font rendering backend: freetype. RetroArch [INFO] :: Suspending screensaver (X11). RetroArch [INFO] :: [CPUID]: Vendor: GenuineIntel RetroArch [INFO] :: [CPUID]: Features: MMX MMXEXT SSE SSE2 RetroArch [INFO] :: [PulseAudio]: Requested 24576 bytes buffer, got 18432. RetroArch [INFO] :: [CPUID]: Vendor: GenuineIntel RetroArch [INFO] :: [CPUID]: Features: MMX MMXEXT SSE SSE2 RetroArch [INFO] :: Using font rendering backend: freetype. RetroArch [INFO] :: Using font rendering backend: freetype. RetroArch [INFO] :: SRAM will not be saved. RetroArch [INFO] :: [GL]: VSync => off RetroArch [INFO] :: [GLX]: glXSwapInterval(0) RetroArch [INFO] :: [GL]: VSync => on RetroArch [INFO] :: [GLX]: glXSwapInterval(1) RetroArch [INFO] :: [PulseAudio]: Pausing. RetroArch [INFO] :: [Data Thread]: Initializing data thread. RetroArch [INFO] :: [Data Thread]: Starting data thread. RetroArch [INFO] :: Saving config at path: “/home/******/.config/retroarch/retroarch.cfg” RetroArch [INFO] :: [X11]: Xinerama version: 1.1. RetroArch [INFO] :: [X11]: Xinerama screens: 1. RetroArch [INFO] :: [GLX]: Saved monitor #0. RetroArch [INFO] :: Does not have enough samples for monitor refresh rate estimation. Requires to run for at least 4096 frames. RetroArch [INFO] :: Does not have enough samples for monitor refresh rate estimation. Requires to run for at least 4096 frames.

Is this the log?

I just tried installing the Snes wrapper and it worked. I will try to find what is wrong with FB alpha.

Is there a way to load cores automatically?

Does FB Alpha have a Linux version (without Retroarch)?

I’m not seeing any errors in your log but are you sure that’s the whole thing? I don’t think there’s any native linux FBA but you can use the Windows version(s) in WINE, AFAIK (fightcade’s linux port is via WINE).

Re: automatic core loading, there’s a ‘load content’ > ‘detect core’ option that will try to guess which core to use but arcade ROMs are tough, since they’re in generic zip files. If you want to load a core from the command line, you can do it like this: retroarch -L /path/to/libretro-core.so gamename.zip

[QUOTE=hunterk;28728]I’m not seeing any errors in your log but are you sure that’s the whole thing? I don’t think there’s any native linux FBA but you can use the Windows version(s) in WINE, AFAIK (fightcade’s linux port is via WINE).

Re: automatic core loading, there’s a ‘load content’ > ‘detect core’ option that will try to guess which core to use but arcade ROMs are tough, since they’re in generic zip files. If you want to load a core from the command line, you can do it like this: retroarch -L /path/to/libretro-core.so gamename.zip[/QUOTE]

Once again, thank you very much for your answear.

I this that’s it. I wrote retroarch --menu --verbose on terminal, closed the program and then copy pasted in here.

I tried the fbalpha through wine but is very slow.

I don’t know if it needs additional software (like Directx), but on my computer it didn’t run very well.

oh lol, that explains it. I meant you should launch it like that, do whatever you normally do to get the offending behavior (in this case, just try to load one of your ROMs) and then paste the resulting error here.

Hi.

Sorry for the late response.

I tried the Final Fight and it worked, so the problem must be the roms.

If i want to play Cps 3 games, which core should i choose?

Is there a windowed version of libretro? Something like Mameui.

FBA is probably your best bet for CPS3. The MAMEs are a lot slower but you could try them, as well, if you find FBA lacking for whatever reason.

By ‘windowed,’ do you mean runs in a window with mouse-driven menus (File, Edit, etc.)? If so, not with all of RetroArch’s features.

[QUOTE=hunterk;28785]FBA is probably your best bet for CPS3. The MAMEs are a lot slower but you could try them, as well, if you find FBA lacking for whatever reason.

By ‘windowed,’ do you mean runs in a window with mouse-driven menus (File, Edit, etc.)? If so, not with all of RetroArch’s features.[/QUOTE]

Yes, that’s what i mean.

I don’t need much features. Just scanlines and a easier way of config the keys.

If i wanted scanlines on retroarch, how would i activate it?