Help changing default Cores location

Hi, I’ve been using Retroarch both in Windows and Android for months now, but there is something I can’t do in my Android setup, it seems I can edit folders for basically everything, but when I restart Retroarch it always switch back to default folder location for cores which is, if I remember correctly, data/com.retroarch/cores, I have folders for everything Retroarch needs in the SD card. Is there anything I’m missing here, or for any odd reason it can’t be changed at all?

Thanks for your help!

Go on Settings->Directory->Core Directory and set the path to what you want.

No, you can’t change core location on android. SD card isn’t guaranteed to have exec permissions

Apologies for the newbie question, but how do I access the cores folder on an Android device? (I have a Shield) I’ve tried show hidden folders in Windows, but I just can’t seem to find it.

Thanks all.

Hi you have to root your shield tv then use apps as x plore to access on core location

Do any of the nightly builds allow you to change the core save directory? (I am unable to root my device at this time due to update build Nvidia Shield TV)

The Android port can’t load cores from anywhere but the default location. However, you can now install and delete cores without needing root, so it should be less of an issue.

Thanks for the response. I was trying to access the core override files to manually edit them on my PC, am I looking in the wrong folder (cores), if so what is the core override directory and can that be modified without a root?

Yeah, the core config overrides should be in the ‘config’ directory, not the core directory.

1 Like

wow thanks for not making feel like a dumbass, I definitely missed that, the two different save locations definitely screwed me up the longer I searched for it. For some reason I could only find the remap files (even though it was in the same directory). thanks again

No worries. There’s a lot of stuff in a lot of places. It’s not unusual or embarrassing to not be able to find something in one of them :slight_smile:

1 Like