Help, make XMB less slow

Trying to get rid of those awful hiccups in XMB navigation (issue described here).

With my lame coding skills I could just find a way to limit the reading of a playlist to its first 25 entries. That gets rid of most of the stopping.

I change this line to:

if(list_size < 25) file_list_set_userdata(list, i, node); And then I’d like to read the full list if I move down into the list, but there I don’t know how to code that. An additional line like:

if(MOVE_DOWN_IN_PLAIN_LIST) file_list_set_userdata(list, i, node);

Anybody knows a way to code that?

Well, that’s not the only spot to stop all of that processing time.

I can’t understand everything but what should be the easiest to modify in the current code would probably be: instead of sending the whole playlist in a get/set user data procedure, do a loop of 50 entries at a time with a check for a movement in the horizontal list that would break it.

Prioritize the navigation.

im up for any method to make scrolling between playlists(and not just the game lists) smoother while not breaking compatibility with older devices, specifications,or platform.

what is really slowing this down anyways? the number of playlists? the number of items in the playlist? the icons? the thumbnails?

I think for the most part the slowness is from the number of entries in the play list. I agree the best way would be to only load the playlist after entering it. Maybe when on the specific playlist tab, press x or o and it loads the playlist.

I’m fine with that way of pushing a button to enter the playlist, I just feel many people could disagree. Caching everything (in a separate thread?) could stay optional to not hinder weak machines. Those 2 solutions are great if feasible.

From my testing that part in the 1st post is the longest one: populating the playlist with icons and names.

But there is still a noticeable access prior to that when reading it or/and allocating the designed “space” for it.

Moving menu assets and playlists to a fast SSD drive + removing the thumbnails made absolutely no difference.