[Help] Need help with getting Mario Kart, Mega Man X2/X3 to run with BSNES

Cans somebody help me out with this? I have tried searching google and it leads to vague answers about adding dsp roms and I am really not sure how to do it or where to find exactly what I need.

Can somebody give me a step by step guide for idiots?

The info online is vague because the special chip images you need are (mostly) copyrighted files, just like ROMs. To further muddy the waters, recent versions of bsnes/higan use split special chips, which are even harder to find. However, if you google: higan special chips filthypants The first result should help.

Once you have the correct files, place them in your system/BIOS directory.

Also, the bsnes-mercury cores have special chip HLE available in the core options (disabled by default). This will let you play those games without using the special chip images at the cost of a small amount of accuracy (on the bright side, the HLE is much faster than LLE).

thank you very much!

Alright, so I switched to mercury balanched and went into options and switched special chip accuracy to HLE and it didn’t do anything. Any other settings that I need to change?

Also placed the files in my system folder within retroarch and tried to launch them using both bsnes balanced and bsnes mercury balanced.

Is there something that I am missing?

bah, looks like the HLE option broke at some point. I’ll have to mention that to Alcaro…

Putting the chip images into your system folder should work. For example, for Mario Kart, you need dsp1b.data.rom and dsp1b.program.rom. Mega Man X 2/3 need cx4.data.rom.

[QUOTE=hunterk;42073]bah, looks like the HLE option broke at some point. I’ll have to mention that to Alcaro…

Putting the chip images into your system folder should work. For example, for Mario Kart, you need dsp1b.data.rom and dsp1b.program.rom. Mega Man X 2/3 need cx4.data.rom.[/QUOTE]

Am I putting them in the correct place? Here is a screen shot.

Yes but make sure that directory is actually being used (just to be sure) by going to settings > directories.

Also, you probably will want to move your RetroArch directory into somewhere in your user path, as it can cause a lot of problems (possibly this one included) when it isn’t allowed to write to its directories due to Windows permissions stuff…

Went to directory and it has the system/bios directory set to <content dir>

Edit: I got it to work. I decided to go ahead and change that directory. RetroArch wouldn’t let me change the directory for some reason. BUT, what I did do is put the files inside of my content folder and I got it to work.

Thanks for the help!

hurrdurr, I forgot there is another core option you have to set: respect accuracy-impacting settings ON. It’s a failsafe to make sure that people understand what they’re doing with the HLE/LLE thing. Once I turned that on, the HLE worked as expected.

I could see how that would happen. Very easy to forget about a single setting. I’ve been messing with retroarch for about a week now and it has been a huge headache tweaking it and getting setup exactly how I want it. It’s worth it though. Fantastic program. I really appreciate the help.

Any chance you could help me out with this: http://libretro.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6232